- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Firefighters extinguished a fire that broke out inside a house last week on the Sunset Beach island.
Sunset Beach Deputy Fire Chief Richard Childres said the fire, reported at 7:55 p.m. Thursday, July 3, at an unoccupied house at 410 29th St., is believed to have been the result of a wiring or mechanical issue.
Fire damages were confined mostly to the kitchen, with smoke damage throughout the structure.
The home’s owners, who were not there at the time the fire broke out, had been down earlier in the week doing renovation work on the house, Childres said.
Hurricane Arthur, which had pretty much cleared the local coast by then, was not believed to be a factor in the fire.
In addition to Sunset Beach, the Ocean Isle Beach, Calabash and Grissettown Longwood fire departments responded at the scene.
Firefighters had the fire under control within minutes, Childres said. Adjacent homes were not threatened, he said.
He added if there had been a delay in response, the fire could have been much worse.
“We were able to stop it just in time,” he said.
Childres believes damages to the house can be repaired and that it was not a total loss.