- Special Sections
- Public Notices
To the editor:
A friend once told me to never attempt to have an intellectual conversation with a liberal. They are incapable of using facts and instead will simply call you a racist and a bigot. Writer Duane Lewis of Sunset Beach proves this theory (Oct. 31 edition of the Beacon). I won’t waste time repeating his racist writings but instead will state fact.
People upset with the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) are not happy because:
• They cannot keep their current plan as the president promised.
• It is taking $880 billion from Medicare (by cutting payments to doctors), thus reducing services that people worked to earn their entire lives.
• It will add $6.2 trillion to the national debt, according to the independent Government Accounting Office.
• There are 21 separate taxes included in Obamacare, 75 percent that affect the middle class; businesses are cutting hours of employees to less than 30 hours because they cannot afford to pay for their medical coverage.
• Even the major unions are trying to get an exemption.
All of this during a serious economic situation here in America. Yet no one, including the Tea Party, has mentioned race as the cause for their disapproval.
Ocean Isle Beach