Lightning strike causes fire in Brick Landing

-A A +A
By Sam Hickman

 Local fire departments responded to a pair of lightning strikes that caused minor damage Thursday night, July 24.

The first lightning strike took place at 1914 Mariner’s Wacche condominiums near Brick Landing Plantation in the Shallotte Point area.

Lightning struck the roof of one condo unit about 11:30 p.m. and went into the attic of one condo, Shallotte Point Volunteer Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Potts said.

There was minor damage to the condo, which is expected to be repaired, Potts said.

Firefighters were on the scene until almost 3 a.m. evacuating the entire condo unit. There were residents inside the condo at the time of the lightning strike, but everyone was evacuated safely. There were no reported injuries, Potts said.

There are 12 condos total in the unit that was struck, but only three sustained minor damage. Two other condos had minor smoke and water damage.

Potts told the property manager he felt it was safe enough to turn the power to the rest of the units back on the following morning. Power was restored at 10 a.m. Friday, July 25.

Shallotte Point, Tri-Beach, Civietown, Shallotte, Sunset Beach and Grissettown/Longwood fire departments responded to the call and were assisted by county fire marshals, emergency management coordinators and Brunswick County Emergency Management Services.

Firefighters covered the condo with tarps on the night of the lightning strike, and the property manager at Mariner’s Wacche placed a tarp over the roof of the condo unit the next morning.


Ocean Isle Beach lightning strike

The same night, a bolt of lightning struck the sun deck at an Ocean Isle Beach home, Fire Ocean Isle Beach Chief Robert Yoho said.

About 11 p.m., lightning struck the sun deck on top of the house at 132 W. First St., causing significant damage, Yoho said. Unlike the strike at Mariner’s Wacche, the Ocean Isle Beach strike did not spark a fire. 

The house is on the second row of homes on First Street. Vacationers were inside the home at the time of the strike but no one was injured. Yoho said the residents were back inside the home after investigators determined the house was safe. 

“It messed up the deck a little bit,” Yoho said. “And it punched a hole in the roof and the sheet rock of the house.”

The damage is expected to be repaired.

“It could’ve been worse,” the chief added.