Man serves 25 years of life sentence

-A A +A


By Rachel Johnson, Staff Writer

Less than 25 years after being sentenced to life in prison in Brunswick County Superior Court, a man convicted of a first-degree sexual offense has been approved for parole.

David Alton Bullard, 62, was convicted on June 6, 1988, of a first-degree sexual offense for his role in a sexual assault on July 2, 1987.

According to court appeal documents filed in 1988, Bullard was found guilty along with a co-defendant for assaulting a female victim. Both men forced the victim to perform fellatio on them by force and against her will.

The appeal says, the victim’s car ran off the highway and overturned in a ditch. Bullard and the other defendant offered to drive her to her friend’s house. After the victim got in the car, the two men drove her to an isolated area where they each attacked her.

On March 17, 2013, Bullard became eligible for parole. The N.C. Post-Release Supervision and Parole Commission approved Bullard for parole.

“The state’s current sentencing law, Structured Sentencing, eliminates parole for crimes committed on or after Oct. 1, 1994. However, the commission has the responsibility of paroling offenders who were sentenced under previous sentencing guidelines,” states a press release issued by the N.C. Post-Release Supervision and Parole Commission.

Bullard is eligible for parole through the commission’s Mutual Agreement Parole Program (MAPP). MAPP is a scholastic and vocational program that is a three-way agreement between the commission, the division of prisons and the offender.

Bullard served a portion of his sentence in Maury Correctional Institute and the Johnston Correctional Institute. He was released from the New Hanover County Correctional Center this week.

Bullard is now listed on the National Sex Offender database as living in Supply.

The commission also recently approved Kenneth Odell Hicks for parole. According to the commission, Hicks was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison in Robeson Superior Court on Dec. 4, 1991.


Rachel Johnson is a staff writer at The Brunswick Beacon. Reach her at 754-6890 or rjohnson@brunswickbeacon.com.