- Special Sections
- Public Notices
We would like to remind you to use caution when using heaters and other items that produce carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious and kills hundreds of people, if not thousands all throughout the world. It is odorless and colorless, and it is a deadly poisonous gas that comes about by the incomplete burning of fuels, such as oil or propane, burning wood or automobile fumes.
Carbon monoxide cuts off the oxygen supply to your organs and tissues after a period of time, causing severe problems and/or death.
Here are some carbon monoxide-producing items we come in contact with and need to be familiar with proper usage and manufacturer’s directions to lessen the chance of being a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning:
•Cars, trucks, engines and lawn equipment.
•Wood-burning stoves, fireplaces and furnaces.
•Portable stoves, space heaters.
Sometimes during cold weather, people start their vehicles in a closed garage or work on engined with the garage door closed. People heat their houses with a kerosene heater without proper ventilation. High levels of carbon monoxide can build up quickly.
You must keep garage doors and windows open for adequate ventilation. All wood-burning appliances and portable heaters should be kept in good working order and used in well-ventilated areas.
As an added precaution, you can purchase carbon monoxide detectors at hardware stores, and this will alert you of any high or low levels of gas present.
Some people who are exposed to low levels might have mild headaches and experience nausea. People who are exposed to higher levels will most likely experience dizziness, confusion, severe headaches, vomiting, chest pains, changes in vision and possibly death.
If you feel any of these symptoms while using any of these items, you may be getting carbon monoxide poisoning, and you should leave the area immediately and seek medical assistance.
The important things to remember when using carbon monoxide producing appliances or equipment are good ventilation and following manufacturer’s directions. Opening windows and doors and inspecting and ensuring everything is operational and maintained properly will decrease chances of you or someone you know from becoming poisoned. Be safe and be sure of what is required of any particular heating device.