- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Get in the holiday spirit with an array of festive events planned this weekend and in the coming week in Brunswick County.
The roundup of upcoming holiday happenings includes:
• Super Saturday in Ocean Isle Beach starts at 9 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 29, at the Museum of Coastal Carolina. Parade at 2 p.m. down Second, LaGrange and First streets. Community Christmas carol singing at 5 p.m. across from OIB fire station, followed by refreshments and Santa's arrival.
• The Fifth Annual Ocean Isle Beach Christmas Flotilla will take place at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 29. The flotilla will start at Shallotte Pointe in the Shallotte River and head south to the waterway to the commercial canal. Prime viewing is behind the Ocean Isle Beach Fishing Center and Sharky's. Donations and canned goods will be collected for Brunswick Family Assistance. For more information, call 612-7799 or 443-8904.
• Holden Beach Christmas tree lighting, 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 1, at the pavilion under the bridge on Jordan Boulevard. The Holden Beach Chapel Choir will sing carols; refreshments will be served; Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit. Drop-off box for Toys for Tots
• "A Viennese Christmas," 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 2, Odell Williamson Auditorium, Brunswick Community College. Tickets $10-$27. 755-7416 or 1-800-754-1050 Ext. 416.
• “Bethlehem to Patmos”—Live nativity by Anointed Vessels Ministry at 7 p.m. Dec. 4-8 in 300-seat outdoor amphitheater. Admission is free but seating is limited. 3255 Liberty St., Ash. For directions and information, call the Rev. Diana Payne at 287-4267.
•Shallotte tree lighting, 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, Rourk Gardens, Main Street, Shallotte. 754-6644.
•Calabash tree lighting, 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, in the parking lot of Callahan’s Christmas store at Beach Drive and River Road.
•Oak Island tree lighting, 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, at the Cabana on 46th Street.
•Train show—6-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, and Sunday, Dec. 7, at Grissettown-Longwood Fire and Rescue, 758 Longwood Road. No admission is charged, but donations are accepted. For more information call the fire department at 287-3030.
• “Amahl and the Night Visitors,” 7 p.m. Dec. 5 at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, East Moore and Dry streets, Southport, and 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, at St. James the Fisherman Episcopal Church, Shallotte.
•Shallotte Christmas parade, 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 6. All major roads into town close until the parade is over. Vendors available from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Farmer’s market open 1-4 p.m.
•Christmas Tour of Homes, 3-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, starting at Eastside World Outreach, 4755 Main St., Shallotte. Tickets $10 in advance; $15 at door. Tickets available at Island Breeze, Sunset Inn and Eastside World Outreach. For more information, call 754-7363.
•Oak Island Christmas parade, 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, 4600 block E. Oak Island Drive to McGlamery Street.
•Pet photos with Santa, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 7 and Dec. 14, Capeside Animal Hospital at Waterford Center in Leland; $25 includes 4-by-6 print with six photo proofs, a CD with six photos and signed waiver for reproduction. 383-2100.
•Christmas dinner theater—6 p.m. Dec. 7, Calvary Baptist Church, 623 Village Road in Shallotte. Tickets $5 adults; $3 children; sold during office hours at the church through Dec. 3.