Standoff in Shallotte Point ends without serious injuries

-A A +A
By Staff Brunswick Beacon

SHALLOTTE POINT—A nearly two-hour standoff Monday ended with a Shallotte Point man being taken to the hospital, but left no one seriously injured.

Around 4 p.m. Monday, Brunswick County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call that a man had barricaded himself inside his Shallotte Point home and was threatening to catch the home on fire while still inside.

Patrick Tedder, 46, barricaded himself inside his Kay Street home Monday until the sheriff’s office SWAT team was able to subdue him and remove him from the home, Sheriff Ronald Hewett said.

When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they evacuated about five neighboring homes on Kay Street, a dirt road off Shallotte Point Loop Road.

After negotiations failed to lure Tedder from his home, Hewett said the SWAT team responded to defuse the standoff.

The SWAT team arrived at the home around 4:30 p.m., he said.

Around 5:15 p.m., and then again a few minutes later, explosions of pepper spray grenades reverberated through the woods near Tedder’s home.

The SWAT team used several rounds of pepper spray grenades to force Tedder from the home.

But Hewett said the first few rounds did not force Tedder from the home, saying Tedder went to the upper level in an attempt to escape the gas.

After continued and unsuccessful negotiations and the use of the pepper spray grenades, Hewett said the SWAT team entered the home.

Using “less than lethal force,” the SWAT team was able to control Tedder, who Hewett said resisted officers.

Tedder, who Hewett described as one of the “biggest, strongest men in the county,” suffered only a small laceration above his left eye.

Tedder was taken to Brunswick Community Hospital in the SWAT vehicle because Hewett said he was a threat to paramedics if he was taken in an ambulance. After receiving treatment at the hospital, Hewett said Tedder was taken to a mental health facility to receive treatment.

Hewett said this was not the first time Tedder, who he said had been depressed about a recent fire at his home, was involved in a standoff with law enforcement. About two and a half years ago, sheriff’s deputies responded to a similar standoff with him, he said.

“He has a lot of resentment to law enforcement,” he said.

At press time Tuesday, charges pending against Tedder included assault on a government official and resisting a public officer.

But Hewett said Tedder would not be charged until he is released from the mental health facility.

“We want to take care of his mental health first,” Hewett said.

Caroline Curran is a staff writer at the Beacon. Reach her at 754-6890 or at ccurran@brunswickbeacon.com