Toilet terror: Unbelievable but true

-A A +A
By Staff Brunswick Beacon

Has everyone heard the story about the poor woman in Kansas who spent the past two years in her boyfriend’s bathroom and was found stuck to the toilet seat?

If you haven’t, trust me, I’m not making it up.

According to various published reports, a 35-year-old Kansas woman, now identified as Pam Babcock, went into her boyfriend’s bathroom two years ago, and when he asked her to come out, she refused. So, he brought her food and water.

The next day, her boyfriend, Kory McFarren, asked her if she was coming out, and she replied “Maybe tomorrow.”

He continued to bring her nourishment and asked her every day if she was coming out. Every day, the answer was the same—FOR TWO WHOLE YEARS.

Finally, he called the cops, and when they responded, they found Babcock’s skin growing around the toilet seat. EMTs pried the seat off the toilet and took the woman to the hospital still stuck to the seat. It was removed at the hospital.

Obviously, this woman has some mental problems. According to one report, McFarren said she had a phobia about leaving the bathroom due to some childhood traumas.

In the latest report on CNN, McFarren says she actually moved around in the bathroom and carried on normal conversations during that time. He says he brought her changes of clothes daily and tried to coax her out of the bathroom.

That doesn’t explain how she became fused with the toilet seat, though. She had to be sitting there a long, long time.

She now has atrophied leg muscles and a skin infection that has damaged her nerves. She might end up in a wheelchair, according to the published reports.

It is inexcusable this guy didn’t call for help earlier. I’m thinking if someone was in my bathroom for more than three or four hours, I’m calling for help. Two years?

If they end up giving Babcock a psychiatric evaluation, I’m praying they throw one in for McFarren, as well, especially considering his most recent statements to the press:

“She is an adult; she made her own decision. It was my fault I should have gotten help for her sooner—I admit that. But after a while, you kind of get used to it.”

According to the press reports, McFarren said he can’t be certain how long Babcock stayed in the bathroom because “time just went by so quick I can’t pinpoint how long.”

I know the human appetite for weird stories about our fellow man is more than a little sick, but I can’t help but think this is ripe material for an A&E documentary.

sarah shew wilson is a staff writer for the Beacon. Reach her at 754-6890 or swilson@brunswickbeacon.com.