Wal-Mart evacuation sparked by intentionally-set fire

-A A +A
By Staff Brunswick Beacon

The Wal-Mart Supercenter in Shallotte was evacuated Thursday night after someone intentionally set fire in the women’s undergarments section, Shallotte Fire Chief Paul Dunwell said.

Store employees extinguished the fire using dry chemical extinguishers before local fire departments arrived. Corporate employees ventilated the store using the its existing air handling units.

“They’re definitely to be commended for doing a great job,” Dunwell said.

Read this week’s Beacon for more information.