By Stephen Garton
UGA Cooperative Extension
On a visit to the Sawnee Mountain Preserve in Cumming, Ga., I was shocked to find many dead bees in the preserve’s observation hive.
The fallen insects were piled up at the bottom of the display and at the entrance and exit to the hive.
Bill Dunn, who manages the hive for the center, believed the bees collected nectar from flowers that had been sprayed or dusted with an insecticide and had inadvertently contaminated themselves with it. He expected most of the bees in the hive would die as a result.