.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Ash woman dies in Friday evening traffic collision

    An Ash woman who was a passenger in a vehicle died in a traffic crash Friday evening in Ash.

    North Carolina State Highway Patrol Trooper D.M. Adams said Leslie Artega, 27, died after the Volkswagen she was in, driven by 33-year-old Eferen Hernandez, also of Ash, failed to stop at a stop sign at 6:18 p.m. as they were traveling northbound on Ash Little River Road. The Volkswagen was hit by a westbound Kia SUV on Whiteville Road driven by 65-year-old Anne Myers of Richfield, who was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

  • Bolivia man dies after dump truck falls from G.V. Barbee Bridge Saturday

    A Bolivia man is dead after his dump truck went over the side of G.V. Barbee Bridge in Oak Island on Saturday.

    Oak Island Fire Chief Chris Anselmo said dispatch received an initial call at 12:22 p.m. and learned on scene that a male driver of a dump truck traveling onto the island swerved to try to avoid an accident between a cargo van and passenger van, and went over the bridge.

    A town news release said Mitchell Wayne Griffith Jr., 44, was pronounced dead at the scene.

    His Facebook page shows he lived in Bolivia and was a CEO at Griffith Trucking.

  • Leland police seek identity of Wal-Mart thief

    Leland police are looking for a woman who stole items from Wal-Mart earlier this month.

    The woman, described as black with a larger build, entered the store on New Pointe Boulevard at 7 p.m. Dec. 11 and stole miscellaneous items worth an estimated $418, according to a police department Facebook post.

    She was last seen getting into what police believe to be a silver four-door Ford passenger car.

    Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Jonathan Berry at 332-5003.

  • Leland police ask for public's assistance in locating missing teen

    Leland police are asking for the public’s assistance in finding a missing 16-year-old girl.

    Savannah Johnson was last seen at her home near Pickett Road at 9 p.m. Dec. 13 and may be in the Jacksonville area, according to a police department news release issued Friday.

    She is described as having light-colored haired and a small build and wears glasses.

    Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Felicia McCabe at 332-5005.

  • Sheriff’s office seeks two in counterfeit money case

    The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office is trying to identify two people who used counterfeit cash during the West Brunswick High School basketball game Dec. 13.

    A white woman and black man used the fake money to make purchases and request change about 8:45 p.m. at the school, according to a sheriff’s office Facebook post and incident report.

    Anyone with information is asked to call Deputy Donna Simpson at 880-4952.

  • Fire destroys Brunswick House at Brunswick Plantation

    An afternoon fire Thursday has destroyed the Brunswick House Property Owners Association pool clubhouse building in Brunswick Plantation.

    Dispatch records show the call came in at 1:57 p.m. Dec. 14 and that flames and smoke were visible from the building at 382 Brunswick Drive NW in Calabash. The cause of the blaze has not been determined.

    People were in the building at the time the fire was first noticed, including some who were inside the indoor swimming pool. All occupants were safely evacuated as the fast-moving fire spread.

  • Leland’s H2GO transfer restraining order upheld

    BOLIVIA—Superior Court by Judge Thomas A. Lock decided Wednesday morning there won’t be any more upheaval in Brunswick Regional Water and Sewer H2GO’s operation in the near future.

    “It’s the intent of the court simply to freeze things as they are right now,” Lock said.

    That means Belville will keep H2GO’s assets, but can’t push forward with the reverse osmosis plant project.

  • Three arrested in Longwood fatal shooting

     

  • Agents seize drugs, handguns from felon

     

  • Man sentenced to more than three years for sex crimes involving children

    A Supply man will spend at least three years in prison after pleading guilty to five felony counts of indecent liberties with a child, according to a news release from the District Attorney’s Office.

    A Superior Court judge, whom the release did not name, sentenced 33-year-old Billy Joe Walton Jr. of Civietown Road to three consecutive sentences of 13 to 25 months in the North Carolina Department of Correction, followed by two consecutive suspended sentences of 13 to 25 months each.