Local News

  • Couple charged in Leland lottery ticket theft

    Leland police arrested two people accused of stealing lottery tickets from a gas station earlier this month.

    Davette Rae Artemisio, 30, of Carolina Beach Avenue in Carolina Beach and JonMichael Joseph Laurie, 27, of Seaview Road in Wilmington each face a charge of larceny from the person and felony conspiracy.

    Police said Laurie entered the Exxon station on Ploof Road followed by Artemisio on March 8 when the tickets were stolen, then left in a blue Dodge truck with damage to the front end.

  • Leland man dies in fall at construction site

    A 32-year-old Leland man died after falling at the Wilmington construction site where he was working Friday afternoon.

    Ramero Felipe fell from a six-story scaffold at the Cape Fear Apartments on Chestnut Street at 2:15 p.m., North Carolina Department of Labor spokesman Jason Tyson.

    The fall appears to be accidental, Wilmington police spokeswoman Jennifer Dandron said.

    A preliminary investigation shows Felipe was installing brick veneer to the front of the building before falling the six stories between the building and the scaffolding, Tyson said.

  • Man charged in Oak Island break-ins

    Oak Island police arrested a man they said was caught breaking into a home and a vehicle Friday.

    Kenneth Vernon Lee, 29, is charged with breaking and entering and larceny after breaking and entering.

    Citizens called 911 to report someone breaking into a vehicle at the Norton Street beach access. Police who responded discovered the break-in at a McGlammery Street residence.

  • Shallotte man sentenced on federal drug, firearm charges

     A Shallotte man will spend at least six years in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 28 grams or more of crack cocaine and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.

    Senior United States District Judge W. Earl Britt sentenced 27-year-old Freeman Hankins Jr. to 75 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release.

  • Man sentenced in Sunset Beach armed robbery

    A Wilmington man will spend at least 13 years in prison after pleading guilty to two counts each of common law robbery and second-degree kidnapping in the armed robbery of Sunset Beach’s Hardees last fall.

    Judge Gregory James Bell sentenced 46-year-old David Ashley Bates to between 164 and 240 months in the North Carolina Department of Correction with credit for time served.

  • ECHS student to help lead March For Our Lives

    SOUTHPORT — Brunswick Early College High School sophomore Nick Berry said he wasn’t very involved in politics before the Feb. 14 shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school that killed 17 people.

    But the tragedy served as a catalyst for Berry, who decided he had to create change somehow.

    This Saturday, the 16-year-old will serve as one of the leaders of March For Our Lives - Wilmington NC.

  • Woman gets surprise 98th birthday party

    SHALLOTTE — Vivian Haswell’s aunt Beulah lived to be 101, and she is hoping to outlive her.

    She marked her 98th birthday with a surprise This is Your Life celebration by Lower Cape Fear Hospice at Autumn Care of Shallotte on Friday afternoon.

    Two of her children, Tacey Hoover and Donna Haswell, both of Holden Beach, hospice staff, Autumn Care employees and other residents showered her with cake and gifts, a quilt and framed poetry.

  • Sunset Beach bans cabana beach vendors, again

    SUNSET BEACH — Sunset Beach Town Council cast a repeat 3-2 vote at a town workshop Tuesday to ban commercial vendors from conducting cabana rental business on the beach.

    The vote came after several residents again voiced opposition to the measure.

    Council took another vote at the March 20 workshop after voting the same way at a special called meeting March 13.

  • Bridge condition draws concern in Calabash

    CALABASH — Ongoing concern about the safety of the Calabash River bridge on N.C. 179 was raised at the March 13 town board of commissioners meeting.

    Mayor Mary Knight outlined details, documented with photographs posted on a white board during the monthly meeting.

    She said the span was recently scrutinized by town services supervisor Pete Brokus, who took the detailed photos.

    Knight noted the town sent a letter to the North Carolina Department of Transportation in November 2016 emphasizing problems with the height of the bridge.

  • ONDBEAT: Changes occur when town leaders change (cabana) seats

    It wasn’t that long ago the town of Carolina Shores pondered banning billboards.

    Just nine years ago, in fact, in February 2009, as the town planning and zoning board was adopting a U.S. 17 corridor plan, members agreed billboards had no place along their pristine three-mile stretch of highway under town jurisdiction.

    It was also agreed the town didn’t want unsightly signs too close to the roadway or in the right-of-way. They also didn’t like roof signs. Well, who does?