.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Rabon sworn in as state senator

    Sen. Bill Rabon, R-Southport, was sworn in Wednesday, Jan. 11, in Raleigh for his fourth two-year term representing the 8th District in the state Senate.

    North Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice Mark Martin administered the oath of office.

  • Holden Beach Central Reach Project makes steady progress

    HOLDEN BEACH — A field trip to the oceanfront at Winding River Beach Club served as the highlight of the Holden Beach Park Advisory Board’s meeting Thursday, Jan. 5, as they surveyed firsthand the town’s Central Reach Project in action.

    The project is placing up to 1.31 million cubic yards of sand along 4.1 miles of Holden Beach shoreline, from 240 Ocean Blvd. E. to 781 Ocean Blvd. W.

  • Marshals arrest woman in 2006 stabbing

    The U.S. Marshals Service arrested a woman Thursday, Jan. 5, who was wanted in Brunswick County in a 2006 stabbing.

    Marshals found 49-year-old Lorie Jean Smith-Postupack at her home in Hampstead, a spokesman for the agency said.

    Warrants show Smith-Postupack stabbed a man on July 31, 2006 with a pocketknife before telling Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office detective Laurie Smith she had been raped in order to “hinder and obstruct the law enforcement officer in the performance of her duty.”

  • Four women cited in Mulberry Park fire

    Four women are accused of starting a fire in Shallotte’s Mulberry Park last month.

    Belinda Tyree, 29, of Holden Beach Road in Supply, Tonya DeRouin, 30, of Ocean Forest Drive in Calabash, Jamie Robinson, 35, and Katharine Moro, 36, both of Varnamtown Road in Supply were each cited on misdemeanor charges of injury to personal property, setting fire to personal property, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and littering.

  • Two accused of taking tools from workshop

    Two men are accused of taking tools from a workshop in Leland they broke into Christmas Eve.

    Ryan Tyler Duffy, 25, of Holly Hills Drive in Shallotte and Johnnie Ray Ison, 23, of Judy Ray Lane in Leland were each charged with felony breaking and entering, felony larceny after breaking and entering and felony conspiracy to break or enter a building.

  • Supply man to serve nine years for sexually assaulting girls

    BOLIVIA — A judge sentenced a Supply man to serve at least nine years in state prison for committing sex crimes with two girls, the District Attorney’s Office said.

    Robeson County Superior Court Judge James Gregory Bell sentenced 35-year-old Michael Charles Jacobs of Seashore Road to two consecutive sentences of 58 to 130 months in prison, with credit for time served, after he pleaded guilty to two felony counts of second-degree sexual offense Wednesday, Jan. 4.

  • Southport man accused of cutting, terrorizing woman

    Oak Island police arrested a Southport man accused of breaking into a residence Dec. 27 and cutting a woman who was there.

    Charles Dean Holden, 53, of Frink Street was arrested Jan. 6 and charged with felony breaking and entering with intent to terrorize or injure, misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor communicating threats.

    Warrants issued Dec. 28 show Holden broke into the home in the 100 block of Northwest First Street and used a steak knife to slash the woman’s hand, saying he would kill her. 

  • School board forgives two makeup days for staff

    SHALLOTTE — The Brunswick County Board of Education forgave two makeup days for employees of Brunswick County Schools as a result of Hurricane Matthew, as allowed by the state General Assembly.

  • Brunswick County escapes weekend snowfall

    Despite some slight precipitation and bitterly cold temperatures, Brunswick County was spared from last weekend’s snowfall over the Carolinas.

    “Farther inland, mainly Charlotte and north of Raleigh, 8 to 12 inches fell in some places,” said Steven Pfaff, warning coordinator meteorologist for the National Weather Service office in Wilmington. “That’s why we were concerned people traveling out of the area might be getting impacts. Impacts were expected to be elsewhere for the most part.”

  • County escapes weekend snowfall

    Despite some slight precipitation and bitterly cold temperatures, Brunswick County was spared from last weekend’s snowfall over the Carolinas.

    “Farther inland, mainly Charlotte and north of Raleigh, 8 to 12 inches fell in some places,” said Steven Pfaff, warning coordinator meteorologist for the National Weather Service office in Wilmington. “That’s why we were concerned people traveling out of the area might be getting impacts. Impacts were expected to be elsewhere for the most part.”