.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • NCDOT to close part of Ocean Isle Beach Road

    The North Carolina Department of Transportation will close a portion of Ocean Isle Beach Road, between Old Georgetown Road and N.C. 179 (Beach Drive), near Ocean Isle Beach, from Monday, Jan. 5, through Sunday, Feb. 1, to install storm drain pipe.

    Signs will detour traffic from Old Georgetown Road to Seaside Road, then to Beach Drive (N.C. 179).

    NCDOT reminds motorists to stay alert, drive with caution, obey posted speed limits and allow extra travel time and encourages use of alternate routes when possible during this period.

  • Suspects sought in Calabash armed robbery

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office detectives are searching for two men who robbed and assaulted an employee at a Calabash convenience store Dec. 22.

    Two black men wearing ski masks entered the Citgo gas station on Beach Drive at 9:25 p.m. One brandished a handgun.

    The robbers assaulted the clerk and stole some cash and her purse before running out of the store toward the South Carolina state line, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Emily Flax said. 

    The clerk was treated on the scene for minor injuries. 

  • Expanding N.C. 211 into Southport tops Brunswick’s list for transportation improvement

    Brunswick County could see a four-laned N.C. 211 into Southport in the next five years.

    The Cape Fear Rural Planning Organization Transportation Advisory Committee released a summary of the major new transportation projects that are funded for construction in between 2015 and 2021 as part of the draft State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).

    The STIP is a list of projects that are one step away from state approval and two steps away from federal funding.

  • Belville subdivision stormwater designs behind flooding problems

    BELVILLE — Flooding issues in Belville subdivisions have uncovered problems in the stormwater runoff systems built by developers.

    Jeff Cappadona of Cavanaugh and Associates, the town engineering consultant, reviewed causes of flooding in Woodridge, River Ridge and Old Towne subdivisions following flooding reports from Woodridge residents in August.

    Cappadona reported an error was recorded on the River Ridge stormwater permit that allowed more built-upon area than the permit allows.

  • County finalizes land purchase for nature park

    Brunswick County now owns land for a 13th park.

    County Attorney Huey Marshall said the purchase of three properties near Holden Beach was finalized late Wednesday evening, Dec. 17.

    The parcels total nearly 35 acres that stretch from Holden Beach Road SW to the Intracoastal Waterway, just west of the Holden Beach Bridge. The properties, being sold by Sweetwater Investments LLC, are undeveloped.

    Brunswick County plans to establish a nature park possibly featuring walking trails, a kayak launch, and picnic areas.

  • Beacon plant columnist solves mystery of rare South Carolina plant

    John Nelson, The Brunswick Beacon plant columnist, quizzes readers on mystery plants each week.

    He also likes a good mystery and was recently recognized as one of two botanists to discover a new species of plant.

    The long process of confirming a rare type of hedge nettle, called Stachys caroliniana, came to fruition when Nelson, curator of A.C. Moore Herbarium at the University of South Carolina, and Doug Rayner, a professor at Wofford College, published a paper on the plant in a botany journal.

  • Homeowners’ insurance rates to decrease in Brunswick County

     Homeowners in Brunswick County can breathe a sigh of relief after the state’s insurance rates regulator announced last week he wouldn’t increase rates for homeowners.

    In fact, Brunswick County homeowners can expect their homeowners’ rates to decrease in 2015 despite the state’s insurance commissioner announcement last week that a “zero overall change” would take place for homeowners in the Tar Heel State.

  • Leadership group distributes 100 free turkeys in Southport

     SOUTHPORT — Thanks to a local leadership group, 100 families in and around the Southport area will enjoy a free turkey dinner for the holidays.

    The Brunswick County Black Leadership Caucus held a turkey giveaway Friday, Dec. 19, at the Southport Wal-Mart on North Howe Street.

  • Winnabow man accused of firing pistol, choking woman at school bus stop

     A Winnabow man is accused of assaulting a woman and firing a gun at a school bus stop near Town Creek Elementary School.

    Fifty-four-year-old David Michael Costin was arrested Dec. 15 after he choked the woman and fired a .380 Lorcin pistol near the bus stop, which is considered educational property, warrants show.

    He faces charges of discharging a firearm on educational property, assault by strangulation and assault on a female.

    Costin also is accused of striking a man above his left eye with the pistol.

  • Longwood man sentenced to 35 years in state prison

     BOLIVIA — A Longwood man awaiting trial on a second-degree murder charge was sentenced to more than 35 years in state prison in Brunswick County Superior Court Friday, Dec. 19.

    Judge Gale Adams sentenced Alfred Lamont “Peanut” Butler, also known as Hakeem Muhammad, to between 35 and 48 years in the N.C. Department of Correction following Muhammad’s conviction Friday afternoon.

    A jury deliberated for about two hours before returning six guilty verdicts for various drug violations, including selling and delivering cocaine.