.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Summer market will come to OIB

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH — Commissioners approved a summer artisan market on the town lot next to the Museum of Coastal Carolina.

    The board considered the idea at its November meeting, but tabled the decision to review the logistics after Mayor Pro Tem Dean Walters and commissioner Wayne Rowell expressed concerns about traffic and visitors parking in the museum parking lot.

    Mayor Debbie Smith said she and Town Administrator Daisy Ivey met with all the neighbors around the property to ensure everyone supported the market.

  • Snowfield residents worry about 90-lot development

    BOLIVIA — The Brunswick County Planning Board approved a 90-lot subdivision conceptual plan Monday, Dec. 12, which has longtime residents of the Snowfield community concerned they will be overwhelmed.

    The Brunswick County Planning and Community Development Department’s 2010 list of unincorporated communities described Snowfield as small, rural African-American community in the area around Snowfield Road and Old Ocean Highway (U.S. 17). The area south of the town of Leland has been referred to as Snowfield since as early as 1807.

  • Shallotte prepares for road projects

     SHALLOTTE — Town officials met with North Carolina Department of Transportation representatives this past month to discuss a road to connect N.C. 130 to Main Street and the Shallotte Avenue project, which would align Shallotte Avenue and Wall Street.

    Copas Road also is scheduled to be resurfaced in 2017.

    During the Dec. 6 Shallotte Board of Aldermen meeting, Mayor Walt Eccard also said he attended the North Carolina Grand Strand Area Transportation Study (GSATS) quarterly meeting to review current and planned road projects in the area.

  • Shallotte gets down to new businesses

     SHALLOTTE — In addition to the new construction of Little Caesars on Main Street and River Pointe apartments on White Street, other Shallotte businesses have been approved for construction.

    The proposed Zaxby's restaurant at 4736 Main St. has been issued a demolition permit for the existing building, which was previously The Grille restaurant where scenes from the movie “Tammy” starring Melissa McCarthy were shot, and a Hardee’s before that.

  • Sheriff's Office locates woman reported missing

    The Brunswick County Sheriff's Office has safely located 35-year-old Kimberly Kelly Seawell of Bolivia in Conway, S.C. 

    She was last seen at her residence on Clemmons Road in Bolivia on Dec. 8. 

  • State auditor race recount does not change results

    The Brunswick County Board of Elections conducted a recount of the State Auditor’s contest Dec. 7 after Republican candidate Chuck Stuber asked the State Board of Elections for a recount of votes in his race against incumbent Democrat Beth Wood.

    Brunswick County Board of Elections director Sara Knotts said Stuber called for the recount in all 100 counties because the margin between the candidates was less than 10,000 votes.

    Knotts said the recount found Stuber lost a vote from the initial count, which was added to Wood’s total.

  • Ussery appointed chief district court judge

    Chief Justice Mark Martin appointed Judge Scott Ussery as chief district court judge for Judicial District 13 (Brunswick, Bladen and Columbus counties), effective Jan. 1, 2017.

    Ussery will succeed Chief Judge Jerry Jolly upon his retirement.

  • NCDOT offers drone safety tips

    One of the gifts most likely to top wish lists for kids and adults alike this holiday season is a drone. Retailers estimate as many as 1.2 million unmanned aircraft systems, or drones, will be sold by the end of December, a 112 percent increase over last year. The N.C. Department of Transportation wants to help recreational drone operators stay off the naughty list with a set of safety tips.

  • House passes funding bill with Hurricane Matthew relief

    The U.S. House of Representatives passed the FY 2017 Continuing Resolution to continue government operations, maintain funding at the current budget cap level and provide disaster relief to families and communities impacted by recent flooding, including disaster aid to assist North Carolinians in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.

  • Commissioner wins case against $600M insurance rate increase

    The North Carolina Supreme Court refused to hear the insurance industry’s appeal of the North Carolina Court of Appeals decision affirming Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin’s rejection of a 2014 homeowner’s insurance rate increase of about $600 million.