Local News

  • Brunswick County claims its ninth lottery winner for the year

    A Leland resident has won $10,000 through the North Carolina Education Lottery, keeping Brunswick County’s lucky streak alive by becoming the ninth winner this year.

    Valient Simoncic won the money by playing the 50X The Cash instant prize scratch-off game, state lottery officials said Friday, Sept. 4.

    In late July, John Croake of Ocean Isle Beach won $10,000 in the $200 Million Blowout scratch-off game while Kevin Beauchamp of Leland won $10,000 in the $2,500 a Week for Life! instant game earlier that month.

  • Two men charged in Leland area break-ins

    Two men accused of breaking into and stealing from homes in the Winnabow and Leland areas in the last two weeks have been arrested and face multiple felony charges.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested 23-year-old Brayion Juan Dowd and 23-year-old Steven Alfonza Zeigler on Thursday, Sept. 3.

  • County schools, charter school group settle civil suit

    Brunswick County Schools has reached a more than $60,000 settlement following a civil lawsuit filed in 2011 by a nonprofit that operates two public charter schools in Brunswick County.

    Charter Day School Inc. (CDS) claimed Brunswick County Schools owed it money that was withheld since the 2000-01 school year, according to the suit.

    The two sides reached a settlement when Brunswick County Schools and Charter Day School Inc. officials agreed Thursday, Sept. 3, the Brunswick County Board of Education will remit $605,379 to CDS by Sept. 20.

  • District recognizes distinguished employees at celebratory board meeting

     SUPPLY — For the first time in Brunswick County Schools history, district staff hosted a regular scheduled monthly meeting at 101 Stone Chimney Place in Supply.

    While most board meetings on the first Tuesday of each month give district staff and board members an opportunity to discuss business, Sept. 1’s meeting was a celebration of the county’s distinguished employees for 2015-16.

  • Public hearing on Holden Beach terminal groin set for Sept. 24

    Holden Beach is one step closer to building a terminal groin after the Army Corps of Engineers released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the project.

    The corps will receive comments on the DEIS, which was published Friday, Aug. 28, for 45 days. The end of the comment period is Oct. 13.

    The corps has scheduled a hearing to receive public comments at 6 p.m. Sept. 24 at Holden Beach Town Hall, 110 Rothschild St.

  • Representatives discuss rail plan in northern Brunswick County

    Wilmington is seeking support from northern Brunswick County communities for its plans to relocate a CSXT railroad line.

    Wilmington city councilwoman Laura Padgett met with Leland Mayor Brenda Bozeman, mayor pro tem Pat Batleman, Town Administrator David Hollis and other town staff, Navassa Mayor Eulis Willis and Belville town commissioner Pat O’Bryant on Thursday, Aug. 27, to explain the plans.

  • Health care providers prepare for flu season

    Health care providers have begun rolling out their flu vaccination programs before the official arrival of fall.

    Susan Stanley, a registered nurse for the Brunswick County Health Services Department, spoke with members of the Belville town board Aug. 24 about Belville’s flu clinic scheduled for October.

    The health department will offer three types of flu vaccine: a regular seasonal flu shot, a seasonal flu mist and a high dose flu vaccine for people 65 and older.

  • Belville park puts town in wedding business

    Taking over Brunswick Riverwalk at Belville Park has put Belville in the wedding business.

    The park off River Road along the Brunswick River has turned out to be a popular location for wedding ceremonies this summer.

    Town administrator Athina Williams said town officials and staff didn’t know the park was a wedding destination until a resident called town hall in February to ask if anyone knew a party of about 15 people were in the park for a ceremony.

    “People like to go out there and to say their vows,” Williams said.

  • Trio indicted in Caswell Beach break-in

     Three people accused of breaking into a home and stealing a television from a home on Caswell Beach in June were indicted Aug. 18.

    Matthew Dillon Vaczy, Ginny Ann Kelly and Lamont Lee Proctor were each indicted on charges of second-degree burglary, larceny after breaking and entering and injury to real property, Superior Court records show.

  • Southport names 18-year force veteran and native police chief

     Gary Smith knows Southport and its police department.

    He thinks those two factors will assist him as he recently took over as the city’s new police chief.

    Smith, an 18-year-veteran of the Southport Police Department, served as acting chief since July 16 and stepped into the chief’s position upon Jerry Dove’s retirement, which took effect Sept. 1. Dove originally announced a retirement date of Oct. 1, but moved it up one month to because he is a mayoral candidate for Southport in November’s general election.