.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Reported flu deaths climb to 110 statewide

    Twenty flu deaths were reported in North Carolina for the week ending March 11, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.

    While flu activity has started to decrease in the state, the virus continues to be widespread.

    The number of influenza-associated deaths reported this season, which started Oct. 2, is 110.

    “North Carolinians should continue to take precautions and not let down their guard,” state epidemiologist Dr. Zack Moore said in a news release.

  • Fire damages Oak Island home

    An Oak Island home sustained severe damage after a fire of undetermined origin broke out Friday night, March 17.

    Three people safely evacuated the burning three-story house at 5101 E. Yacht Drive, Oak Island Fire Capt. Chris Sillings said.

    Upon fire crews’ arrival at the fire reported at 11:33 p.m., the structure was heavily involved in flames, including fire through the second story and roof, Sillings said.

    Exterior siding on an adjacent house was melted by the heat, but fire crews were able to stop the fire from spreading to it.

  • Bolivia man charged in March 6 shooting

    A Bolivia man is accused of shooting another man earlier this month.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 25-year-old Rashen Georgell Bellamy, of Old Ocean Highway on Thursday, March 16, and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

    Warrants show Bellamy shot 39-year-old Reginald Bernard Davis on March 6. Davis survived, but details about his injuries were not available.

  • Supply man pleads guilty to assault charge

    A Supply man pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman last September.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 30-year-old Rick Cody Russell, of Oyster Lane, on Sept. 7 and charged him with misdemeanor assault on a female and misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury. Warrants show Russell grabbed the woman and pushed her to the floor, causing her head to strike a bed frame Sept. 7. The injury left a large cut on the victim’s head, resulting in five stitches and 11 staples.

  • Drug investigations net 17 arrests in two weeks

    The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Drug Enforcement Unit arrested 17 people in the past two weeks after a series of drug investigations prompted by community complaints.

    Those arrested and charged Feb. 27 were:

    ·      Christopher Austin Sheeron, 38, of Twin Bay Court NW, Calabash, heroin possession and misdemeanor drug paraphernalia possession. He was released March 7 from the Brunswick County Detention Facility on $5,000 bail.

  • Man charged in shooting of 15-year-old girl in Bolivia

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a 19-year-old Bolivia man Friday, March 17, in the shooting of a 15-year-old girl the previous day.

    Tosont Djimon Brown, of Miami Loop SE, was arrested at his home about 7 p.m. and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Emily Flax said

    Dispatchers received a call just before 7 a.m. Thursday about the shooting in the 2500 block of Burnice Lane NE in Bolivia, Flax said.

  • Ocean Isle Beach signs check for causeway roundabout

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH — Ocean Isle Beach officials approved a construction agreement for a roundabout at the town’s main intersection on the mainland at Tuesday’s meeting.

    Commissioners have supported the North Carolina Department of Transportation roundabout plan at Ocean Isle Beach Road (Four Mile Road) and Beach Drive (N.C. 179) for the past two-and-a-half years, but agreed at the March 14 town meeting to send a check.

  • NCDOT announces Brunswick County road closures

    The North Carolina Department of Transportation will close Village Point Road, 0.1 miles south of Bill Holden Road, in Ocean Isle Beach​ in both directions beginning Monday, March 20, at 8 a.m. continuously through Friday, March 31, at 5 p.m., to replace twin 60-inch pipes.

    Drivers who travel on the Project Road NW bridge over a branch of the Waccamaw River near Ash should also be aware the bridge will be closed beginning March 20 so workers can build a drainage culvert. The new structure will open in August.

  • Winnabow man cleared of assault charges

    A Winnabow man accused of assaulting a woman in October has been cleared of the charges against him.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 24-year-old Tyler Richard Long, of Cherry Tree Road NE, on Oct. 23 and charged him with felony assault by strangulation and misdemeanor assault on a female. Warrants show Long grabbed a woman around the throat before throwing a cell phone at her that day.

    Judge Scott L. Ussery denied a state motion March 7 to continue the case against Long and the charges were voluntarily dismissed, court records show.

  • Veterans Benefits Action Center scheduled

    American Legion District 9, with 19 posts in Brunswick, New Hanover, Johnson and Pender counties, in cooperation with Congressman David Rouzer and the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Winston-Salem are sponsoring a Veterans Benefits Action Center for all veterans and family members March 30, 31 and April 1.