Local News

  • First-grader promotes healthy eating with organic garden at JMMES

     ASH — Gabby Morales walks into school at least two days a week with dirt stains on her blue jeans and soil under her fingernails.

    The 6-year-old first-grader arrives at Jessie Mae Monroe Elementary School perfectly clean, but two or three days a week she spends more than an hour in an organic garden before classes start to plant fresh herbs and vegetables for her fellow students in “Gabby’s Garden” behind the school.

  • Moon, storm affecting tides, possible flooding

    A supermoon coupled with potential flooding from Tropical Storm Joaquin is having effects along the East Coast this week, including Brunswick County’s beaches.

    Steve Pfaff, warning coordination meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Wilmington, said tides have been about 1 to 2 feet above normal, attributed to strong tides that were already full because of this week’s supermoon, when the moon makes its closest approach to Earth in its elliptical orbit combined with persistent onshore flow powering water along the East Coast.

  • Grand jury indicts two Supply men in meth lab case

    Two men arrested after a meth lab was found in their Supply residence have been indicted by a Brunswick County Superior Court grand jury.

  • Grand jury indicts two men accused of sexual assault

    A Brunswick County Superior Court grand jury has indicted two men accused of sexual assault.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested 20-year-old Shimon Curtis Hales, of Turkey Trap Road SW in Supply, on March 5 and charged him with three counts of statutory rape, three counts of sexual offense and three counts of indecent liberties with a child. 

    The incidents, which involve a girl younger than 14 and a girl younger than 16, occurred between Feb. 28 and March 5, warrants show.

  • Grand jury indicts Caswell Beach mayor on 18 felonies

    BOLIVIA — A superior court judge reduced bail for Caswell Beach Mayor Harry Simmons at his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon from $1 million cash to $675,000 secured.

    Simmons was indicted on 18 felonies related to his service as chairman of the former Brunswick Beaches Consortium (BBC) by a Brunswick County grand jury Monday. North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office agents arrested Simmons in Caswell Beach on Monday afternoon.

  • Agents arrest two men on drug charges

     Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Drug Enforcement Unit agents have arrested two men on drug charges in separate investigations prompted by community tips and complaints, Sheriff John Ingram said.

  • Brunswick County names economic development director

    Brunswick County has hired Michael DiTullo as the first economic development director for the newly formed county department.

    DiTullo, who serves as the president and CEO of Rockland Economic Development Corp. of Rockland County, N.Y., replaces former economic development commission (EDC) executive director Jim Bradshaw.

  • Brunswick County Intercultural Festival canceled

    The Brunswick County Intercultural Festival, which was scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 26, has been canceled.

    Festival coordinator Mari-Lou Wong-Chong said the event had been canceled because of the expectation of inclement weather in the area this weekend.

    The festival was scheduled from 10 p.m. to 3 p.m. on the grounds of Odell Williamson Auditorium at Brunswick Community College.

    Saturday’s weather forecast calls for a 90 percent chance of thunderstorms in the Supply area, according to the Weather Channel web site.

  • County sends $13M wastewater proposal to Southport

    BOLIVIA — Brunswick County’s utilities department will send a proposal to Southport officials to consider a $13 million project that would increase wastewater capacity.

    HDR Engineering of the Carolinas prepared a preliminary engineering report on expanding the West Brunswick Regional Wastewater System (WBRWS) to provide wastewater treatment, transmission, and effluent disposal for Southport.

    HDR engineer Eric Williams presented the report to the board at its Sept. 21 meeting.

  • Holden Beach sends megahouse issues back to planning board

    The Holden Beach planning and zoning board will look at the issue of megahouses, again.

    Commissioner Dennis Harrington proposed an ordinance change to limit residential construction to 5,000 square feet because of his concern that more wedding businesses will build huge houses on the beach.

    In January, commissioners asked for the planning and zoning board to look into a situation involving a 16-bedroom house at 1355 Ocean Blvd. W., where weddings are held virtually every week during the tourist season with up to 150 people in attendance.