.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • NCDOT announces Brunswick County road closures

    The North Carolina Department of Transportation will close Village Point Road, 0.1 miles south of Bill Holden Road, in Ocean Isle Beach​ in both directions beginning Monday, March 20, at 8 a.m. continuously through Friday, March 31, at 5 p.m., to replace twin 60-inch pipes.

    Drivers who travel on the Project Road NW bridge over a branch of the Waccamaw River near Ash should also be aware the bridge will be closed beginning March 20 so workers can build a drainage culvert. The new structure will open in August.

  • Winnabow man cleared of assault charges

    A Winnabow man accused of assaulting a woman in October has been cleared of the charges against him.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 24-year-old Tyler Richard Long, of Cherry Tree Road NE, on Oct. 23 and charged him with felony assault by strangulation and misdemeanor assault on a female. Warrants show Long grabbed a woman around the throat before throwing a cell phone at her that day.

    Judge Scott L. Ussery denied a state motion March 7 to continue the case against Long and the charges were voluntarily dismissed, court records show.

  • Veterans Benefits Action Center scheduled

    American Legion District 9, with 19 posts in Brunswick, New Hanover, Johnson and Pender counties, in cooperation with Congressman David Rouzer and the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Winston-Salem are sponsoring a Veterans Benefits Action Center for all veterans and family members March 30, 31 and April 1.

  • Fire destroys Sunset Beach home

    A Sunset Beach couple lost their home Wednesday afternoon to a fire attributed to a smoking-related cause.

    Sunset Beach Fire Chief Kevin Dempsey said the mostly wood three-story house at 514 Twisted Oak Lane was fully involved when his department arrived at the scene of the fire relayed by 911 dispatch at 3:11 p.m. March 15.

    The couple and their pets were able to escape the blaze that erupted and was quickly spread by wind blowing Wednesday afternoon.

  • County woods fire quelled

    A woods fire that led to evacuations last week has been quelled.

    The blaze started as a controlled burn Thursday, March 9, that got out of control, flared up again and led to the closure of a portion of Makatoka Road in the Ash and Supply area Friday afternoon, March 10.

    Fire officials said between 60 to 100 acres burned, and some homes were threatened.

    By 4:30 p.m., Brunswick County Fire Marshal Scott Garner said, the fire was 50 to 60 percent contained and only a small portion of Makatoka Road remained closed because of smoke.

  • Roomful of residents bring questions about The Farm at Brunswick

    CAROLINA SHORES — A roomful of residents brought questions about development plans in The Farm at Brunswick to the March 9 Carolina Shores Board of Commissioners meeting.

    Foremost were questions about a development agreement approved by commissioners as proposed by developer D.R. Horton for phases 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 as well as a planned residential development (PRD) that is to be “age-restricted,” aka a “55-and-over community.”

  • Fire fatality attributed to smoking at Southport assisted living facility

    An elderly resident of Carillon Assisted Living of Southport died from injuries she received from a smoking-related fire that broke out at the facility the morning of March 4.

    Joan Dolores Vannoordt, 79, was critically injured and later died from injuries caused by the fire attributed to an oxygen tank that ignited and exploded at the facility at 1125 E. Leonard Road.

  • ‘From Boys to Men’ mentoring program launches at West Brunswick High School

    SHALLOTTE — Their ages range “from boys to men,” inspiring the title of a new mentoring program that launched last week at West Brunswick High School.

    For the program’s March 8 kickoff, they converged in the school media center to share sandwiches and biographies about their lives.

  • Gause announces retirement as Shallotte police chief

    SHALLOTTE — Police Chief Rodney Gause announced his plans to retire this year at the March meeting of the Shallotte Board of Aldermen. Gause, who has been chief since 1988 said he would retire effective July 1.

    Gause began his law enforcement career in Shallotte in 1981. On June 2, 1982, he began working full time. He was 28 when he became chief, the youngest police chief in North Carolina.

    “June 2 equals 35 years for me,” he said. “I’ve got four grandkids. I want to spend more time with them.”

  • County board to hear rezoning request for assisted living facility

    BOLIVIA — Brunswick County commissioners will have to decide if zoning will be approved to allow an assisted living facility to be built along U.S. 17.

    Despite two meetings’ worth of discussion, the county planning board could not support the developer’s plan to build across from a neighborhood on Old Shallotte Road NW.

    Representatives from Brunswick Community and Assisted Living came before the planning board at the Feb. 13 and March 13 meetings, seeking rezoning of a parcel at 5220 Ocean Highway W. (U.S. 17).