.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Council approves pursuit of property purchase for park in Sunset Beach

    SUNSET BEACH—Mayor Ronald Klein cast a tie-breaking vote Monday to enable the town to proceed with negotiations to buy a five-acre waterway site for a future park with an asking price of $5.5 million.

    Following lengthy discussion and debate, town councilmen Len Steiner and Bob Bobinski voted in favor of the measure while councilmen Lou DeVita and Wilson Sherrill voted against it.

  • Signage, speed concerns at new schools being reviewed by DOT

    While Brunswick County school officials admit they have had numerous calls from parents regarding the safety of two new school entrances, there is little the district can do.

    According to Craig Eckert, director of capital projects and planning, Stanley Road and U.S. 17, the roads that feed into Cedar Grove Middle School and Town Creek Elementary School, are both owned by the North Carolina Department of Transportation and require approval before any changes or additions can be made.

  • Town denied chance to voice opinion regarding DOT road abandonment

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—The N.C. Department of Transportation (DOT) has abandoned maintenance responsibilities on a portion of Second Street in Ocean Isle Beach, but Mayor Debbie Smith said the town has not been given the appropriate chance to respond.

    According to N.C.G.S. 136-55.1, a 60-day notice from DOT is required when abandoning maintenance of roads. The statute also requires notices to be sent to adjacent property owners.

  • Calabash resident launches write-in campaign

    CALABASH—A dozen residents gathered at a local resident’s house last week to support her in her quest as a write-in candidate for town commissioner.

    Mary Knight said her candidacy would be an uphill battle.

    “We’re very open to volunteers at this point in time,” she said at the Sept. 10 meeting. “We can use all the feet we can.”

    Calabash Acres resident Alinda Meares said the purpose of the meeting was establish Knight’s candidacy and to reach as many people as possible.

  • Warren wants to freeze school funding

    BOLIVIA—County commissioners agree they have concerns about goings-on with the Brunswick County Board of Education, but they did not agree with one solution presented by commissioner Charles Warren.

    Warren, who is serving his first term as commissioner since being elected last November, proposed freezing school board funding until the school board “gets their act together.”

  • Across the Aisle: Burr addresses healthcare reform, president's speech

    Editor’s note: This is the first in a series of stories focused on healthcare reform and other issues before Congress. Next week’s Beacon will feature an interview about healthcare reform with Democrat U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre, who represents North Carolina’s seventh congressional district.

  • Calabash commissioners narrow down list of candidates for town administrator

    Calabash commissioners narrow down list of candidates for town administrator

    BY LAURA LEWIS

    STAFF WRITER

    CALABASH—Town commissioners have whittled the list of administrative candidates to nine. They will be interviewed soon.

    At a Sept. 10 meeting, commissioners discussed guidelines in the search for a new town administrator including how to conduct background checks.

    Mayor Anthony Clemmons said they’ve got quality people on the list.

  • Tribute paid on eighth anniversary of 9/11 in Brunswick County

    On the eighth anniversary of 9/11, Legionnaires once again joined Lions on the N.C. 130 overpass in Shallotte to remind everyone to remember a tragic, sacred day in U.S. history.

    Russ Polizzotti of American Legion Post 503 in Calabash once again was among those taking time to wave flags and at passing motorists on U.S. 17 down below.

  • DA clears deputy in fatal shooting

    District Attorney Rex Gore cleared Brunswick County Sheriff’s Deputy Bradley Hardee in last Sunday’s fatal shooting.

    Hardee had been on administrative duty since Sunday, Sept. 6, when he shot and killed 49-year-old Alton Walters after attempting to arrest him during a domestic call, Brunswick County Sheriff John Ingram said.

  • Teenager shot during home invasion; suspect remains at large

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s detectives are searching for a man they said shot a 17-year-old while attempting to enter the teen’s home.

    According to a sheriff’s office press release, 17-year-old Curtis Keith Todd, of 2636 Plymouth Drive SW in the Civietown community of Supply, was shot in the arm after he tried to confront the man he said was trying to enter his home.

    Todd was taken to Brunswick Community Hospital where he is listed in satisfactory condition, and is expected to be treated and released, the release states.