.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Waterway dredging under way in Ocean Isle Beach

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—Waterway dredging is under way in Ocean Isle Beach.

    Town administrator Daisy Ivey said dredging of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway began last week. The project is scheduled for completion by Feb. 26.

    Information on the town’s website stated the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers awarded the dredging contract to Cottrell Contracting Inc.

  • Board members update personnel reduction policy

    BOLIVIA—As the Brunswick County school system faces an estimated $10 million deficit for the 2011-2012 fiscal year, members of the board of education have begun to discuss details if a personnel reduction were necessary.

    The school system has yet to implement a personnel reduction though there have been several consecutive years of budget cuts. Anticipating another challenging year, board members adopted updates to Policy No.7920—professional personnel reduction in force—at their monthly meeting Tuesday night.

  • Band teacher charged with sexting a student turns in resignation, teaching license

    BOLIVIA—The North Brunswick High School band teacher arrested for sending sexually explicit text messages has resigned and voluntarily agreed to surrender his teaching license.

    Mark Riel, 37, turned in his resignation Tuesday, board chairperson Shirley Babson said following a board meeting Tuesday night. Babson said Riel submitted his resignation and surrendered his teaching license “acknowledging the pending criminal charges against him.”

  • County looks to change emergency radio system

    For the second time in less than 10 years, the county will revamp its emergency communications.

    Also, for the second time in less than 10 years, millions of dollars will be invested into the changeover.

    In 2004, it cost the county about $3.9 million to convert radio systems. Today, county officials plan to shell out another $1.9 million to switch again.

  • Commissioners react to second radio system changeover in less than 10 years

    BOLIVIA—In 2004, Brunswick County Commissioners approved changing over the county’s system of radio frequencies and repeaters to the SmartLink radio system, which they were told would revolutionize the county’s radio system.

    But, for the second time in less than 10 years, county commissioners are again about to approve the changeover, this time from SmartLink to the Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders radio system, or VIPER.

  • Sheriff: Deputy not fired for code of conduct violation

    Brunswick County Sheriff John Ingram said sheriff’s office Sgt. Moses Stanley was not terminated from the sheriff’s office because of a code of conduct violation.

    Stanley, 61, serves as vice-chair of the Brunswick County Board of Social Services, which would have been a violation of the county’s code of conduct, had Stanley still been employed with the county.

    The code of conduct, approved by commissioners in December, prohibits county employees from serving on appointed boards or committees.

  • Fifty apply for DSS director’s position

    The deadline to apply for director of the Brunswick County Department of Social Services has passed, and 50 people have applied for the job.

    Interim DSS director Neil Walters said, as of last week, 50 people have applied for the director’s job, not all of whom are qualified for the position.

  • General Assembly members assigned to committees

    RALEIGH—Committee assignments have been made for members of the North Carolina General Assembly.

    Freshman Sen. Bill Rabon, R-Brunswick, elected in November by the GOP caucus as freshman senate leader, was tapped as co-chair of the Senate transportation committee.

    Rabon will serve as vice-chair on the Senate finance committee and vice-chair of the appropriations subcommittee on transportations. In addition, Rabon will also serve on the healthcare, program evaluation and redistricting committees in the Senate.

  • Carolina Shores makes job offer for town administrator

    CAROLINA SHORES—The town board of commissioners has made a preliminary offer to a candidate to become the next town administrator.

    A board letter went out Tuesday offering the job to a candidate who is in the Carolinas, Mayor Stephen Selby said Tuesday, adding nothing has been finalized.

    “There is a man they’re very interested in,” Selby said, adding he’s trying to stay out of the process at this point until commissioners make a final decision.

    The man is one of three finalists interviewed by the town board last Thursday.

  • Brunswick Stew & Que has new locale and flavor Saturday

    The area’s annual Brunswick stew cook-off will be served with a slightly different flavor this year.

    For one thing, the third annual Brunswick Stew & Que, as it’s now called, will take place 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday in a larger location—the whole left side of the parking lot at Planet Fun/Starz Grille at 349 Whiteville Road in Shallotte.

    “It’s bigger than we’ve had in the past for this event,” says Kelly Mathews, program and event director for the Brunswick County Chamber of Commerce.