.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Leland man sentenced to 11.5 years in prison for eighth DWI conviction

    BOLIVIA—A Leland man was sentenced to more than 11 years in prison after he was convicted of his eighth driving while impaired charge.

    According to assistant district attorney Chris Thomas, Wilbur Brown was convicted of habitual impaired driving, and sentenced as a habitual offender, this week in Brunswick County Superior Court.

    Superior Court Judge Thomas Lock sentenced Brown to 108 to 138 months in the North Carolina Department of Corrections.

  • Should chips, cookies, energy drinks and sodas be purchased with an EBT card?

    Should food stamps be used to purchase soda and other junk food?

    That’s the question and now the federal government is looking into potential changes in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps/EBT).

    A change to the current definition of food for the program requires action by Congress.

  • Bite on Ocean Isle Beach

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—Shortly before noon on Tuesday, July 24, a call went across the emergency radio scanner for medical help for an animal bite.

    The dispatcher said it was a “possible shark bite” and the victim was on the beach with lacerations to the leg.

    Emergency personnel were sent to 121 West First St. in Ocean Isle Beach.

    According to Mayor Debbie Smith, it was not a shark bite.

    “According to first responders it looks more like a bluefish bite or a stingray barb,” she said.

  • Two Shallotte firemen get "Picked Off"

    SHALLOTTE—It was just a typical day at the Shallotte Fire Department for firefighters Justin Ward and John Pettry last fall when Ward mentioned to Pettry a casting call for a new TV show.

    Ward had seen a posting on Facebook that there was a new show looking for firefighters. Ward told Pettry who called the number and left a message for a New York-based production company, Cineflix.

    “They called back and said they were looking for two firefighters/EMTs in all of the U.S.,” Pettry said.

  • Sunset Beach residents come out to talk to town at community meetings

    SUNSET BEACH—Only one resident showed up for the town’s first community meeting last week.

    Linda Barber, a resident of The Regency, met with town officials at the first in a series of meetings July 19.

    But nearly 50 people showed up for the town’s second community meeting for residents of Sandpiper Bay Tuesday, July 24, bringing with them questions about the future town park, available parking at the new boat ramp, the size of the new fishing pier and other concerns.

  • Calabash Town Hall day talks about the weather

    CALABASH—Town Hall Day this Friday will focus on the weather.

    This year’s event, set for 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, July 27, at town hall on Persimmon Road, will center specifically on storm history and hurricane preparedness.

    Highlights include experts from the weather bureau in Wilmington, a hurricane simulation trailer, a WECT-TV meteorologist and weather-related prizes. Weather experts will also be on hand to program weather radios.

    The new Brunswick County mobile emergency command bus will be at the event as well.

  • Meeting about Sunset Beach proposed park is Aug. 2

    SUNSET BEACH—Withers & Ravenel consulting firm will have a public meeting from 4-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 2, at town hall.

    The purpose of the meeting is to gather citizen input on what should go in the proposed 5-acre public park site on the Intracoastal Waterway.

    The meeting will be in the form of a “charrette,” in which the public will have an opportunity to sit down at tables and participate in the design of the park, according to Sunset Beach Town Clerk Lisa Anglin.

  • Sunset Beach council puts itself in charge of state of emergency

    SUNSET BEACH—At the suggestion of Sunset Beach Mayor Pro Tem Lou De Vita, town council has approved a change granting authority to council, rather than the mayor, during a state of emergency in the town.

    Unanimous approval came at council’s monthly workshop July 17.

    Town ordinances 91.02 and 91.03 previously empowered the mayor to declare and issue restrictions in a state of emergency. Council approved changing wording in those sections to “town council” and “council” to replace “mayor.”

  • Charges dropped in case against visiting priest

    BOLIVIA—Prosecutors have dropped charges against a visiting Catholic priest who was arrested in Brunswick County in 2010.

    The Rev. Edgar Sepulveda, 49, was arrested in January 2010, charged with one count of second-degree sexual offense and one count of sexual battery. Sepulveda was suspended from the priesthood when he was arrested more than two years ago.

    According to a press release from the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh, Bishop Michael Burbidge suspended Sepulveda on Jan. 8, 2010.

  • Jackson, Hewett re-appointed as chair, vice-chair of DSS board

    BOLIVIA—With the assistance of an attorney for the first time in more than a year and a half, members of the Brunswick County Board of Social Services appointed a chairman and vice-chairman at their meeting Tuesday.

    Tina Jackson was re-appointed as chair of the county’s DSS board, and Bernest Hewett was re-appointed as vice-chairman.