.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Alleged attempted rapist's case dismissed after state's only witness flees

    BOLIVIA—The 12-year-old victim of an alleged attempted first-degree rape returned to her native Mexico before Virginio Colin Isidoro went to trial, leaving the district attorney’s office without its only witness and without a case.

    Assistant District Attorney Meredith Everhart said all charges against 37-year-old Isidoro were dismissed when the girl left the country with her mother and sister, before the trial began in April.

    The Brunswick Beacon does not identify victims of sex crimes.

  • Oak Island man arrested for string of Southport break-ins

    SOUTHPORT—An Oak Island man accused of breaking into several Southport-area businesses has been arrested.

    Shawn Duane Brennan, 26, of 219 NE 48th St., has been arrested and charged with three counts of property damage, two counts of common-law robbery, three counts of breaking and entering, illegal burning of a building and possession stolen goods.

    Southport Police Chief Jerry Dove said in addition to breaking into several Southport-area businesses, Brennan also allegedly set fire to Prevatte and Prevatte Law Firm on Howe Street.

  • Leland fugitive captured in Belize

    A Leland man convicted in Brunswick County while on the run has been captured in Belize.

    According to Assistant District Attorney Meredith Everhart, Brian Keith Perry, 40, was captured in Belize on Saturday, May 9.

    Perry failed to appear in Brunswick County Superior Court on the third day of his trial in December 2008. The trial continued, and a jury convicted Perry of statutory rape, indecent liberties with a child and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

  • DOT allows construction to resume on Oak Island Bridge after five-month suspension

    OAK ISLAND—Five months after a fatal girder collapse at the construction site of the second Oak Island Bridge, North Carolina Department of Transportation officials allowed construction to resume.

    Work on the Middleton Drive construction site had been suspended since Dec. 3, 2008, when a girder collapsed, killing Jose Montalvo of Sumter, S.C. On May 7, NCDOT Resident Engineer Wayne Currie lifted the temporary suspension on the bridge project, and work resumed the following day.

  • Shallotte planners recommend approvals; mull Main Street request

    The Shallotte Planning Board has recommended approval of annexing and rezoning property on Lake Shore Drive and subdividing a tract on Main Street but put off until next month another Main Street subdivision request because staff had numerous comments.

    The board voted unanimously at Tuesday night’s board meeting to recommend approval of annexing .6 acres on Lake Shore Drive and rezoning it from the county’s RA-15 zoning to the town’s R-10, a low-density residential zoning district.

  • Funeral services announced for teen wreck victim

    Funeral services for West Brunswick High School student Jacob Moseley, 18, who was killed in a wreck early Friday morning have been announced.

    There will be a celebration of life at 11 a.m. Monday, May 11, at First Baptist Church of Shallotte. The family will receive friends and family an hour before the service.

    Moseley, son of Gregory Keith and Gina Graham Moseley, was a senior at WBHS where he was in the Rocket Club and Drama Team. He was an artist who enjoyed skateboarding and playing the guitar. His family said he was a loyal friend who had a smile for everyone.

  • Two WBHS students remain hospitalized following fatal wreck

    Two West Brunswick High School students remain hospitalized following a fatal car wreck early Friday morning in Shallotte.

    According to Erin Balzotti of New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Caleb (Hawkins) Diaz, 17, is listed in critical condition and Joseph Moreno, 17, is listed as in good condition.

  • Five employees who left special needs student at Wilmington park fired

    The five Brunswick County Schools employees who left a special needs student behind at a Wilmington park last month have been fired.

    South Brunswick High School employees Catherine Anderson, exceptional children’s (EC) teacher; Melanie Ashley, EC teacher; Nicholas Green, therapeutic assistant; Mable McKoy, EC teacher assistant/bus driver; and Morris Cook, Jr., therapeutic assistant, were terminated effectively immediately by the board of education Tuesday evening.

  • School transfer requests due by May 30

    Parents requesting their student(s) be allowed to attend a school outside their assigned district must have requests into the board of education by May 30.

  • Shallotte Cleaners employee retires after 34 years

    She’s lasted through three owners, varying responsibilities and generations of loyal customers, but April 29 marked Perlene Stanley’s last day on the job at Shallotte Cleaners.

    Stanley celebrated her final day after 34 years of service last week with a party provided by her bosses and co-workers.