.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Boiling Spring Lakes man charged with 30 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor

    A Boiling Spring Lakes man has been arrested and charged with 30 counts of third-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

    At press time, Wilbert Robert Schmidt, 62, of 1000 Beaufort Road, Southport, was in custody at the Brunswick County Detention Center on a $1 million bond.

    Detective Sgt. Donna Simpson, with the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Special Crimes Unit, said the third-degree sexual exploitation charges are for possessing child pornography—thousands of photos he allegedly took.

  • Liens filed against Calabash Lakes developer

    CAROLINA SHORES—A Calabash Lakes resident was surprised recently when she started to refinance her home and learned from the bank a lien had been placed against property in the two-year-old community.

    Since the homeowner had title insurance, she was exempt from the lien, said Bob Litz, a property owner in the Portrait Homes community off Thomasboro Road where construction has halted and the developer has been unreachable in the wake of a faltering economy.

  • Shallotte plans for new town park

    SHALLOTTE—A local developer has donated 10 acres for a new town park, and the board of aldermen voted unanimously Tuesday night to apply for a state grant to make the first town park a reality.

    The proposed park would include a 50-foot parking lot, a playground, a picnic shelter with four tables, four “mini fields” for soccer or other sports, a large multi-purpose field for youth football or soccer, an adult-size soccer field, a pedestrian trail, a small concession stand and restrooms.

  • No Port Southport says the numbers don’t add up

    SOUTHPORT—No Port Southport, a group of Southport-area citizens formed to stop the N.C. Ports Authority container terminal planned for the area, has done its homework.

    At a public meeting last week at the Southport Community Building, group members presented facts they investigated on their own, after seeing a business plan from the Ports Authority that did not answer their questions.

  • Sheriff’s office, Leland Police and SBI to receive federal forfeited funds

    The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office is one of three agencies set to receive $84,000 in federally forfeited funds.

    The U.S. Attorney’s Office announced the sheriff’s office, the Leland Police Department and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation will each receive one-third of a $325,000 share pursuant to the federal equitable sharing program.

  • New theater troupe to take ‘Sylvia’ on the road

    Longtime community theater director Ron Lee isn’t content to just accept kudos for his past accomplishments.

    So after directing several successful productions for Brunswick Little Theatre, Lee jumped at the opportunity to take his most popular show “on the road” by starting the Cape Fear Repertory Theater, a professional company bringing professional-level productions to small towns in the Carolinas.

  • Contributions warm Comfort Socks' toes

    It was just a few months ago that Theresa Tese launched her socks charity to help warm the feet and hearts of the homeless.

    Since then, people in the community have donated hundreds of pairs of socks to the nonprofit, Comfort Socks.

    In December, Tese delivered nearly 400 pairs to Brunswick Family Assistance in Shallotte and Good Shepherd Center and First Fruit Ministries in Wilmington.

  • Housing help available in economic downturn

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County had between 1,000-2,999 foreclosure starts between January 2007 and January 2008, according to the North Carolina Department of Commerce.

  • Community gathers to watch, celebrate new president’s term

    When Willie Gore was arrested in 1962 following a civil rights sit-in, he never could have imagined he’d be watching an African-American president being sworn into office more than 40 years later.

    In 1960, a group of students at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro began having sit-ins in protest of racial discrimination.

    The Southport resident was a part of CORE—Congress of Racial Equality—in the ’60s, and in 1962, he joined a sit-in at an S&W Cafeteria.

  • Charges against principal, parent dismissed

    All charges against Jessie Mae Monroe Elementary School Principal Patricia Rourk and Tracey Danka, a parent of two former Jessie Mae students, have been dismissed.

    According to a press release from the district attorney's office, Rourk and Danka have reached a "confidential" agreement. The parties agree to "have no further contact," the release states.

    Danka said Tuesday she is "very satisfied," with the terms of the agreement.