.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Senior center changes spark parking conversation

    SHALLOTTE—The Shallotte Senior Center is a step closer to finding a new, much-larger home.

    Jim Fish, executive director of Brunswick Senior Resources Inc., presented a parking plan to alderman at their May 1 meeting in hopes of moving the project along.

    While there were concerns about the terms of the proposed parking agreement, the town was willing to work with Fish and BSRI.

  • Free hot lunches to be served this summer

     

    Summer food service is coming back to Brunswick County for the summer of 2012.

    The summer food service is a program offered to all children and teens between the ages of 1 and 18. The program is geared to fill the gap in the summer months for children who rely on the free and reduced lunch program throughout the school year, but it is for all children in the county.

  • Sykes wins District 3 county commission race

    BOLIVIA—Pat Sykes has won the Republican nomination for District 3 county commission.

    In a four-person GOP race, Sykes defeated Dosher Trustee Joe Agovino, former Southport Alderman Jwantana Frink and incumbent county commissioner Charles Warren for the District 3 Republican nomination.

    “I’m very excited. I’m glad to be able to serve the people of Brunswick County. I’m looking forward to it in January,” Sykes said.

  • Voter turnout tops 30 percent

    BOLIVIA—Elections officials are reporting strong voter turnout in Tuesday’s primary election.
    Of Brunswick County’s 79,600 registered voters, 25,395 voters cast their ballots in this Primary Election, which is a 31.88 percent voter turnout. That’s up over the May 2010 primary election, which had a 20 percent voter turnout.
    Brunswick County Elections Director Greg Bellamy said this year’s turnout was not comparable to 2010 because 2010 didn’t have a presidential election.

  • County commissioners to outsource food services

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County commissioners plan to outsource the county’s food services for an estimated savings of $800,000 a year.

    At a workshop last Wednesday, May 2, commissioners heard proposals from several private companies that responded to the county’s request for proposals to take over the food services at the county. It includes retail cafeteria sales, inmate meals and meals for Brunswick County Senior Resources Inc.

  • School start times set for next year

    BOLIVIA—School officials have released the school start times for the upcoming school year.

    Since the board of education voted last month to return to a single-bell schedule from the staggered-start schedule used this year, the school day for students will once again change.

    The instructional day will begin at 8 a.m. for elementary school students and end at 3 p.m.

    For middle school students, their instructional day will begin at 8:10 a.m. and end at 3:10 p.m.

  • N.C. General Assembly’s short session convenes May 16

    Lawmakers are gearing up to go back to work.

    The short session of the 2011-2012 biennium of the North Carolina General Assembly will convene in Raleigh on Wednesday, May 16.

    Both the House and the Senate will be back in session at noon on May 16.

  • County commissioners approve construction and demolition contract

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County commissioners have approved a contract to transport up to 50 percent of the county’s construction and demolition waste stream to Waste Industries.

    Brunswick County Operations Services Director Stephanie Lewis said Waste Industries offers transfer and disposal services for construction and demolition waste through the county’s transfer station at the Brunswick County landfill in Bolivia. Lewis said Waste Industries has agreed to haul and dispose construction and demolition waste at a rate of $38 per ton with no fuel surcharge.

  • Sheriff’s north-end substation relocates

  • State unemployment extension program set to expire

    RALEIGH—North Carolina is no longer eligible for the Extended Benefits (EB) program, according to a recent notification from the U.S. Department of Labor.

    The last payable week of EB will be the week ending May 12.

    Workers who file their claim through the EB program will no longer be eligible to receive extended benefits once the period ends. Roughly 199,000 people are receiving benefits in North Carolina. Of those, 17,000 people are currently receiving benefits in the EB program.