.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Ocean Isle updates hazard mitigation plan

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—Ocean Isle Beach’s hazard mitigation plan is being updated this year and is currently under review.

    Penny Tysinger, planning director for the Cape Fear Council of Governments, said hazard mitigation plans are to be updated every five years or following a federally declared disaster.

  • Developer wants to delay driveway installation plans

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—Due to a slowed building amount and an economic recession, owners of property at the corner of Ocean Isle Beach Road and N.C. 179 have asked the town of Ocean Isle Beach to relinquish responsibility for adding additional driveways to the property—features that were among the developers’ original plans and what town commissioners call “a big issue.”

  • DOT officials release investigative report on Oak Island Bridge collapse

    Officials with the North Carolina Department of Transportation have released an investigative report the department received Tuesday from an independent contractor regarding the girder collapse on the second bridge to Oak Island that killed one worker in December.

    According to the report prepared by Rimkus Consulting Group of Charlotte, the primary cause of girder failure was “improper tack welding of couplers to the 1-3/8 inch diameter high strength Dywidag rods.”

  • County pushes to receive full share of accommodations tax proceeds

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County Commissioners think the county has been getting ripped off when it comes to collecting the county’s full share of accommodations tax proceeds.

    Brunswick County Attorney Huey Marshall said commissioners voted last week to enlist the Shanahan Law Group of Raleigh to pursue litigation to ensure the county receives its full share of the 1 percent accommodations tax. All proceeds from the 1 percent tax fund the Tourism Development Authority, he said.

  • County strikes take-home vehicle policy resolution; keeps plan in place

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County Commissioners last week revoked a resolution that enacted the county’s take-home vehicle policy.

    But county commissioners chairman Bill Sue and county commissioner Marty Cooke said the plan remains intact.

  • Federal funding has helped renourish local beaches

    The federal government collects $320 for every federal dollar spent protecting beaches and coastal cities, U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre told Southeastern North Carolina mayors and commissioners during a luncheon last Thursday in the Holden Beach Chapel Fellowship Hall.

    “We’ve been hit by hard times in textiles and tobacco, and we can’t be hit hard by the third leg of that stool, tourism,” or the stool will collapse, McIntyre said about what were three of North Carolina’s main economic forces.

  • Calabash hires new administrator; UDO tabled

    CALABASH—Town commissioners unanimously agreed Tuesday night to hire Jeremy Cribb as new town administrator for Calabash.

    Cribb was among three candidates considered for the job, Calabash Mayor Anthony Clemmons said.

    He replaces former town administrator Vincent Long, who resigned in March.

    Cribb, a native of Whiteville who previously worked with the city of Wilmington, introduced himself following the announcement at the monthly commissioners meeting.

    He told residents and merchants in attendance he has already moved to Calabash.

  • Holden Beach has first commissioners meeting in new town hall

    The 54 people who attended the first Holden Beach commissioners meeting in the new town hall Tuesday night heard architect Jim Stewart report the building is finished except for placing a few signs and the dedication plaque, which weighs 40 pounds.

    Commissioner Gary Staley asked if construction came in at the $3.2 million originally budgeted, and Stewart said he hasn’t completed the final bill but that it’s “pretty much on budget.”

    The architect said he hoped all Holden Beach property owners are proud of the building.

  • First Live Green Music & Arts Festival set for Saturday in Bolivia

    The area’s first Live Green Music & Arts Festival—a celebration of music, art and Mother Earth—will take place Saturday, April 11, in the Wyldes of Bolivia.

    The festival, set for 10 a.m.-9 p.m. at 1016 Galloway Road in Bolivia, is a daylong celebration of local and regional musicians and artists.

    It’s described as family-friendly fun, great music and art, and essential environmental education for the community.

  • Board awards bid contract without knowing price of services

    BOLIVIA—Four members of the Brunswick County Board of Education approved a $55,000 window improvement contract at a meeting Tuesday night, but not all of them knew the total cost of the project.

    The board accepted bids for a project which would improve the exterior windows at Shallotte, South Brunswick and Leland Middle Schools—a project that was in the Feb. 2007 Brunswick County Schools Facilities Master Plan prepared by SFLA Architects.