.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • One child left behind

    First reported on www.brunswickbeacon.com at 2:30 p.m. Friday, April 24

    Five Brunswick County Schools employees are on paid suspension after a special needs student was left behind at a Wilmington park last Thursday.

  • Highway patrol investigates two traffic fatalities

    Troopers with the N.C. State Highway Patrol recently investigated two traffic fatalities in Brunswick County.

    On Saturday evening, a 25-year-old Supply woman was killed on N.C. 179 south of Shallotte, Sgt. C.C. Albritton said. According to Albritton, Jerricka Elizabeth Blanton, 25, was driving a 1993 Toyota passenger vehicle south on N.C. 179 at about 55 mph when she crossed the center lane and struck an on-coming vehicle around 8:54 p.m. Saturday.

  • Local agent youngest in state to earn Century 21 award

    LOCKWOOD FOLLY—Jabin Norris says he began his real estate career about the same day the local market began its downturn.

    At 23 years old, Norris has been working as an agent since September of 2006. He recently received one of Century 21’s top honors for 2008—The Centurion Award, presented to agents who produce $209,000 in sales production or 60 closed transactions. Norris has been working at Century 21 Anne Arnold near Holden Beach since October.

    According to Century 21, he is the youngest person in the state to earn the distinction.

  • Dog adoptions still suspended at shelter

    SUPPLY—Brunswick County Animal Shelter officials will meet next week to determine whether and when the shelter will resume allowing dog adoptions.

    The shelter suspended dog adoptions March 31 after several dogs developed a respiratory illness that lab results confirmed as distemper.

    The suspension period originally was for two weeks but has been extended to prevent spread of the canine distemper virus and ensure it has been halted.

    “We’re just being safe,” shelter director David Swain said Tuesday.

  • Ordinance updates continue in Carolina Shores

    CAROLINA SHORES—Work on a sign ordinance update continues at town hall, assistant town administrator Amanda Chestnut said at a planning and zoning board workshop Monday.

    Chestnut said she has been working with Penny Tysinger, planning director with the Cape Fear Council of Governments, to review “technical” wording and work toward making text more clear and in some cases more flexible.

  • Ingram Planetarium theater goes dark for digital installation

    SUNSET BEACH—Ingram Planetarium’s Sky Theater has temporarily closed this week for installation of a new high-definition digital projection system slated to make its public debut May 23.

    Scott Kucera, executive director of the Ocean Isle Museum Foundation that oversees the Sunset Beach planetarium, said it would be the world’s third SciDome high definition digital projection system.

    The planetarium, which turns seven years old in May, is trading in its old analog system for the new system, the final part of a three-phase $255,000 project.

  • Tax task force, county commissioners move forward for tax relief for senior citizens

    BOLIVIA—A new county tax task force established at the request of county commissioner Charles Warren has presented county commissioners with its first recommendation.

    At their meeting last week, county commissioners approved a resolution presented by the task force, which would increase property tax exemption amounts for Brunswick County’s senior citizens.

  • Southport man charged in motorcycle fatality

    A Southport man has been charged in a wreck that killed a motorcyclist in Wilmington on Sunday night.

    According to the Wilmington Police Department, around 7:57 p.m. Sunday, Jason Albert Smith, 32, was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee west on Market Street. He allegedly turned left onto Wilmington Avenue where he drove into the path of an eastbound motorcycle.

    The impact knocked Stanley Torr Barnes, 31, Burlington, off the bike. He died from injuries suffered in the wreck.

  • Alleged co-conspirator of convicted murderer back in jail

    Joshua Caudill, the second suspect awaiting trial for the July 2007 murder of Oak Island restaurateur Phillip Cook, is back in jail awaiting trial after his co-conspirator was convicted of first-degree murder.

    On April 17, a Brunswick County jury found James Dean Martin, 20, guilty of first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery. Martin was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

  • 'We can't afford it,' Calabash residents still fume about future sewer

    CALABASH—Residents who showed up at a sewer meeting Monday are saying the same thing they’ve said before about the future project—they can’t afford it.

    They also complained town commissioners aren’t doing enough to help them out of the situation.

    “We helped get you elected,” Calabash Acres resident Mitch Meares told Mayor Anthony Clemmons.

    “What’s happened since then is we have told you what we think,” he said. “You are not listening to the citizens of Calabash.”