.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Shallotte extends deadline for dumpster screening

    SHALLOTTE—Town aldermen have extended the deadline for businesses to come into compliance with a new Dumpster screening ordinance.

    At Tuesday night’s pre-agenda meeting, the board voted to extend the deadline to Jan. 7, 2010 from the original cutoff date of May 7.

    The ordinance requires business owners to “gate and screen all four sides of an on-site Dumpster to ensure that the Dumpster container is not visible.”

    Screening should follow the town’s buffering requirements using such methods as buffering strips, fencing, walls or berms.

  • Commissioners' illegal gathering aired in Calabash

    CALABASH—Mayor Anthony Clemmons and town attorney Mark Lewis urged three commissioners to be more mindful of the North Carolina Open Meetings Law after Clemmons encountered them together at a county meeting last week.

    Clemmons called a special meeting Tuesday afternoon after commissioners Cecelia Herman, Emily DiStasio and John Melahn showed up at the Brunswick County Government Complex in Bolivia on April 16 for a meeting with county officials about the town’s future sewer project.

  • Local nonprofits seeing fewer cash donations, more need

    Local nonprofit agencies are feeling the pinch in today’s economy, with a decrease in donations and an increase in need.

    Brunswick County Volunteer Center Director Jayne Mathews works closely with the county’s nonprofit agencies as well as with people in need of services. She said this week she has seen an increase in demand, particularly people seeking basic services—food, clothing, shelter and healthcare.

    “I get a lot of phone calls from people looking for jobs and places to live,” Mathews said.

  • Armed robbery reported at Hardees on U.S. 17

    SUPPLY—Employees at Hardees at the intersection of U.S. 17 and N.C. 211 in Supply reported they were the victims of an armed robbery late Saturday night.

    Restaurant employees reported that around 11:45 p.m. Saturday, April 18, a black man armed with a .22-caliber handgun robbed the restaurant at gunpoint. According to Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Detective Jayne Todd, employees reported the man was wearing an afro-style wig and a bandana over his face.

    No injuries were reported, Todd said.

  • Planning board OKs medical office park, town hall expansion plans

    The Shallotte Planning Board has recommended approval of the site and landscaping plans for a new medical office park and an expansion of the town hall building.

    At last week’s meeting, the planning board recommended approving the plans as well as a business planned building group classification for Coastal Landmark Medical Office Park, to be at 2298 Ocean Highway W. on the north end of town in a highway business zoning district. The property is now being used as an outdoor display for swimming pools.

  • Brunswick County Emergency Services launches new program for special needs population

    Specially trained Brunswick County paramedics will visit more than 200 residents on the county’s special needs registry during coming weeks as part of the emergency services department’s newest initiative.

    To ensure all county residents with special needs are identified, Brunswick County Emergency Services Director Randy Thompson said beginning next week, 12 specially trained county paramedics will be doing home visits to gather information about residents’ needs.

  • Holden Beach officer charged with simple assault; suspended with pay

    A Holden Beach Police Officer has been charged with simple assault and suspended from her post pending the outcome of the charges.

    Jessica Lee Camara, 27, of Schooners Court in Ocean Isle Beach, was charged with misdemeanor simple assault on April 7, and suspended the same day. According to Holden Beach Town Manager David Hewett, Camara was suspended with pay.

    Camara, who has been with the police department since June 17, 2008, makes an annual salary of $29,221.

  • Jury convicts man of first-degree murder; sentenced to life without parole

    BOLIVIA— After deliberating for about an hour and a half Friday afternoon, a Brunswick County jury found James Dean Martin guilty of the 2007 robbery and murder of Oak Island restaurateur Phillip Cook.

    The jury found Martin, 20, guilty of first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon.

    Superior Court Judge D. Jack Hooks Jr. sentenced Martin to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

  • Insurance commissioner to appeal court decision on Beach Plan deductibles, surcharges

    North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin has appealed a court ruling in favor of coastal counties but has not sought to revoke the court-ordered stay on Beach Plan deductibles and surcharges during the appeals process.

    Wake County Superior Court Judge William Pittman ruled in favor of a lawsuit brought by Dare County and backed by coastal counties and municipalities, including Brunswick County, by enacting a stay on the Beach Plan and FAIR Plan deductibles and surcharges March 20.

    Goodwin announced the appeal April 15.

  • County commissioner to run for state Senate in 2010

    He’s been an elected official for just shy of one year, but Brunswick County Commissioner Marty Cooke has set his political sights on Raleigh.

    Cooke plans to run for a seat in the N.C. Senate in November 2010.

    But to get there, Cooke would have to unseat North Carolina’s longest serving legislator, Sen. R.C. Soles.