.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Alleged co-conspirator of convicted murderer back in jail

    Joshua Caudill, the second suspect awaiting trial for the July 2007 murder of Oak Island restaurateur Phillip Cook, is back in jail awaiting trial after his co-conspirator was convicted of first-degree murder.

    On April 17, a Brunswick County jury found James Dean Martin, 20, guilty of first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery. Martin was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

  • 'We can't afford it,' Calabash residents still fume about future sewer

    CALABASH—Residents who showed up at a sewer meeting Monday are saying the same thing they’ve said before about the future project—they can’t afford it.

    They also complained town commissioners aren’t doing enough to help them out of the situation.

    “We helped get you elected,” Calabash Acres resident Mitch Meares told Mayor Anthony Clemmons.

    “What’s happened since then is we have told you what we think,” he said. “You are not listening to the citizens of Calabash.”

  • Tax department begins bank attachments, wage garnishments to collect delinquent taxes

    Brunswick County Tax Collector Ken Perry compares his job to walking a tightrope.

    “I have to walk this tightrope between compassion and collecting money to fund government services,” Perry said, adding the county tax department has begun bank attachments and garnishing wages from delinquent property owners.

    About 200 delinquent property owners, those who haven’t satisfied their 2008 or previous years’ tax bills, have noticed fewer funds in their bank accounts or a 10 percent per pay period wage garnishment on their paychecks.

  • Brunswick County to sponsor weeklong events for county government week

    BOLIVIA—Brunswick County government officials are marking National County Government Week with a week’s worth of activities. May 4-8 is National County Government Week, and Brunswick officials have dedicated the week to: “Greening our Future.”

    For more information on National County Government Week, or for more information on any of the scheduled events, call 253-2000, or visit the county’s Web site at www.brunsco.net. The events are free and open to the public.

    The following events are planned:

    Monday, May 4

  • Shallotte board discusses budget

    The Shallotte aldermen are meeting weekly to plan for the 2009-2010 town budget.

    The board met April 22 and will continue to meet at 3:15 p.m. every Wednesday at town hall to discuss various expenses in the budget with staff and department heads until May 20.

    Between May 20-27, town administrator Paul Sabiston will present a proposed budget and budget message to the board. The board will schedule a public hearing on the proposal.

    A public hearing will be set in June. Sabiston said June 16 is the target date for adopting the budget following the hearing.

  • Shallotte extends deadline for dumpster screening

    SHALLOTTE—Town aldermen have extended the deadline for businesses to come into compliance with a new Dumpster screening ordinance.

    At Tuesday night’s pre-agenda meeting, the board voted to extend the deadline to Jan. 7, 2010 from the original cutoff date of May 7.

    The ordinance requires business owners to “gate and screen all four sides of an on-site Dumpster to ensure that the Dumpster container is not visible.”

    Screening should follow the town’s buffering requirements using such methods as buffering strips, fencing, walls or berms.

  • Commissioners' illegal gathering aired in Calabash

    CALABASH—Mayor Anthony Clemmons and town attorney Mark Lewis urged three commissioners to be more mindful of the North Carolina Open Meetings Law after Clemmons encountered them together at a county meeting last week.

    Clemmons called a special meeting Tuesday afternoon after commissioners Cecelia Herman, Emily DiStasio and John Melahn showed up at the Brunswick County Government Complex in Bolivia on April 16 for a meeting with county officials about the town’s future sewer project.

  • Local nonprofits seeing fewer cash donations, more need

    Local nonprofit agencies are feeling the pinch in today’s economy, with a decrease in donations and an increase in need.

    Brunswick County Volunteer Center Director Jayne Mathews works closely with the county’s nonprofit agencies as well as with people in need of services. She said this week she has seen an increase in demand, particularly people seeking basic services—food, clothing, shelter and healthcare.

    “I get a lot of phone calls from people looking for jobs and places to live,” Mathews said.

  • Armed robbery reported at Hardees on U.S. 17

    SUPPLY—Employees at Hardees at the intersection of U.S. 17 and N.C. 211 in Supply reported they were the victims of an armed robbery late Saturday night.

    Restaurant employees reported that around 11:45 p.m. Saturday, April 18, a black man armed with a .22-caliber handgun robbed the restaurant at gunpoint. According to Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Detective Jayne Todd, employees reported the man was wearing an afro-style wig and a bandana over his face.

    No injuries were reported, Todd said.

  • Planning board OKs medical office park, town hall expansion plans

    The Shallotte Planning Board has recommended approval of the site and landscaping plans for a new medical office park and an expansion of the town hall building.

    At last week’s meeting, the planning board recommended approving the plans as well as a business planned building group classification for Coastal Landmark Medical Office Park, to be at 2298 Ocean Highway W. on the north end of town in a highway business zoning district. The property is now being used as an outdoor display for swimming pools.