.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Website to return to subscription-based service

    Beginning Wednesday, Sept. 29, The Brunswick Beacon’s website, www.brunswickbeacon.com, will return to a subscription-based news and information site.

    We’ll offer our valued newspaper subscribers complete access to all of the news and features currently in our print product, plus a number of online-only features such as videos, slideshows, reader interaction and more. A digital version of every issue of the newspaper will also be available to subscribers online.

  • Calabash town administrator abruptly resigns

    CALABASH—Town administrator Marzy Marziano has resigned, it was announced at a specially called town board of commissioners meeting Friday.
    Marziano’s letter of resignation, effective Sept. 15, was unanimously accepted by the board following a 20-minute closed session.
    Marziano, accompanied by his wife, Morgan, then exited town hall.
    “It’s not a forced thing; it’s totally my decision,” Marziano told a reporter while the board was in closed session.

  • Carolina Shores reinstates flag, banner ban

    CAROLINA SHORES—Town commissioners have officially reinstated an ordinance prohibiting commercial flags and banners.
    On a consent agenda vote at its monthly meeting Sept. 9, the town board voted to rescind a resolution approved by the board Aug. 5 that suspended enforcement of town ordinances 153.240 A (7) and 153.241 K (3).
    After resident Joe Lowry asked about the resolution, Carolina Shores Mayor Stephen Selby said, “Our intent was to suspend enforcement.”

  • Sewer project nearing completion in Calabash

    CALABASH—The town’s sewer project should be completed in November, Mayor Anthony Clemmons said at Tuesday’s monthly meeting.
    McLamb Construction should be finished with work by Sept. 17, he said, then the state will have to come in and certify lines. This involves Calabash Acres, Pine Bur Acres, Carlyle Acres, Bay Point and the Beach Drive area.
    Once the state certifies it, the county will notify property owners that they are able to connect and will hold a public hearing before assessments are levied, Clemmons said.

  • Sunset at Sunset still set for Oct. 1-2

    SUNSET BEACH—Oct. 1 opening festivities of the new high-rise bridge will go on as planned, even though the span won’t be ready to open for traffic by then.
    Mark Hackney, project superintendent with English Construction Co., said last week the $32 million Intracoastal Waterway span is more likely to be ready for its first traffic crossings by mid- to late October.
    When the bridge is ready for traffic, plans are still under way for a ceremonial first crossing by a local group of Corvette owners, town council member Karen Joseph said.

  • Sunset Beach to continue pursuit of park site

    SUNSET BEACH—Town council voted 3-2 Monday to continue with negotiations and a possible new contract with owners of a 5.22-acre multi-million-dollar waterway site being eyed for a future park.

     

    The vote came after lengthy discussion that included mixed comments by 17 residents who spoke out during public comment time and each council member.

  • Holden Beach board bans items from being left overnight on beach strand

    Holden Beach commissioners unanimously approved an ordinance Tuesday night requiring cabanas, tents, umbrellas and other personal equipment be removed from the beach by their owners each evening.

    Items must be removed between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. starting next Easter weekend.

    The delay is to give realtors time to inform vacationers of the change.

    The board discussed the situation for two years before making the change.

  • Board to examine PAC policy

    BOLIVIA—Members of the Brunswick County Board of Education want to know exactly who is serving on each school’s Parent Advisory Council (PAC) and how long members have been on board.

    According to board policy, a PAC member cannot serve more than three years at a single school. A list of current PAC members reviewed by board members Tuesday night shows one PAC member has served five years and several others have served for three. Some schools do not list terms for their members.

  • Museum Foundation’s executive director moving on to new opportunities

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—The Ocean Isle Museum Foundation is searching for a new executive director.

    Executive director Scott Kucera, who has been with the foundation since 2005, has accepted an education extension and training specialist position with the Division of Coastal Management in Beaufort. His last day in Brunswick County is Oct. 8.

    “We have family in that area,” Kucera said, adding he and his wife both lived in the Beaufort area before moving to Brunswick County.

  • Commissioners deny request asking for increased height restrictions

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—Commissioners denied a request for an amendment to the zoning text height ordinance Tuesday morning in Ocean Isle Beach.

    The request from Waterway Cove asked the height restriction in multifamily residential zones be increased to 42 feet from grade. The current height restriction is 36 feet.