.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • One arrested, another sought in vending machine break-ins

    SUNSET BEACH—Police arrested one man and are seeking another for questioning in connection with a recent rash of vending machine break-ins.

    Bradley Gene Reeves, 35, was charged with license revoked, three counts of breaking into vending machines and three counts of damage to personal property.

    Reeves is from New Hanover County but had been living at 718 Magnolia Drive in Sunset Beach, said Sunset Beach Deputy Police Chief Steve Smith.

    Reeves was in the Brunswick County Detention Center on $6,500 secured bond. More warrants are pending.

  • False reports of weapon on campus lock down Village School

    SHALLOTTE—The Evelyn Smith Wray Village School in Shallotte was locked down last week after what turned out to be two false calls that came into Brunswick County Emergency Services.

    The calls claimed a suspicious person was on the school’s campus with a weapon.

    The first of two calls came into Emergency Services around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 25, Shallotte Police Chief Rodney Gause said. Both calls came from an untraceable number, but claimed there was a man with a gun roaming the school’s campus, Gause said.

  • Holden Beach moves forward with beach renourishment

    The Town of Holden Beach has received the Brunswick County Board of Adjustment’s approval to use 371,000 yards of beach-compatible sand taken from the town-owned property on Turkey Trap Road, town manager David Hewett announced at the Nov. 25 meeting of Holden Beach Commissioners.

    Town officials had already received a state mining permit but had to get a special exception from the county to use the sand for beach renourishment.

    Hewett also reported the dune is currently being rebuilt on the east end of Holden Beach between Avenues A and C.

  • Holden Beach residents upset about tax bills

    Holden Beach tax bills went out last week, and since then, almost 200 property owners have called town hall to complain about what appears to be a double billing/erroneous assessment of their sewer assessments.

    “It’s primarily been limited to the lots in Heritage Harbor (where many homes are on two 25-foot lots instead of one 50-foot lot),” town managed David Hewett said. “However, if individuals have a questionable sewer assessment, they should call town hall to get it fixed.”

  • Harris and team recognized for sales

    Realtor Sarah Harris and the Sarah Harris Team have been recognized for Top-12 months sales position of all Brunswick County Realtors in accumulative areas west of Shallotte.

    Her production was more than 70 percent above any Ocean Isle island and mainland Brunswick County agent sales, and ranked 150 percent above any other Ocean Isle Beach agent unit sales.

    Additionally, no other Ocean Isle Beach sales agent has sold more of their own listings than Harris.

  • New Web site set up to defend school start law

    The North Carolina School Start Coalition has unveiled a new Web site, ncschoolstart.org, to inform voters and legislators of what the coalition says is the need to maintain the state’s school calendar law.

    Tourism officials say the law has had a positive effect on Brunswick County, and they are supporting the coalition’s efforts.

  • Existing home sales increase over October 2007, drop from previous month

    Brunswick County had a 96 percent increase in existing home sales in October compared to the previous year, the N.C. Association of Realtors recently announced.

    Brunswick County agents sold 159 homes in October 2008, compared to 81 the previous year, resulting in a 74 percent increase in dollars, from $23.46 million to $40.9 million.

    The average cost of a home in Brunswick County dropped from $289,695 in October of 2007 to $257,369 in 2008.

    The number of homes sold was down slightly from September of this year, when sales topped 170.

  • Fundraiser planned for Stanley family

    A fundraiser has been planned for Ken Stanley and his son Elijah, whose home burned down in a fire Nov. 17.

    Ken’s wife, Joan Stanley, 49, died in the fire, and their Hen Cove Avenue home was destroyed. While the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, investigators believe it was a cooking related fire, which originated in the kitchen.

    Alan Lewis, Shallotte alderman and president of East Coast Engineering and Surveying in Shallotte, said East Coast Engineering has organized a fundraiser to help the Stanley family.

  • Fire destroys Leland home while family is on vacation

    Just before 10:30 p.m. Sunday, a fire destroyed a Leland home.

    No one was in the home when it caught fire.

    According to Brunswick County Fire Marshal Scott Garner, the family who lives in the home was out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday when the blaze destroyed the home on South Navassa Road.

  • Holden Beach lawsuit moved to federal court

    A pending lawsuit against the town of Holden Beach has been moved from Brunswick County Superior Court to U.S. District Court.

    The now-federal lawsuit was first filed in Brunswick County Superior Court on Oct. 8, and alleges gender discrimination, wrongful termination, violations of the N.C. Wage and Hour Act and common-law violations of negligent infliction of emotional distress.

    Terri Oxford, the plaintiff, worked for the Holden Beach Police Department from 1999 until 2008. She claims in the lawsuit she was denied a promotion and wages because she is female.