.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Ocean Isle Beach has annual Trash Bash

    The Ocean Isle Beach Property Owners Association had its annual Trash Bash Saturday morning.

    Bob Calhoun, chairperson, said 353 volunteers helped make a clean sweep of the island and collected about 1,500 pounds of trash.

    “We were blessed with good weather and everybody had a good time,” he said.

    Calhoun said 15 teams were given specific sections of the island so all areas could be cleaned.

  • Aldermen positive about SAFER grant, set vote

    SHALLOTTE—Aldermen aren’t going to hire four full-time firefighters but say they are inclined take advantage of a federal grant for new personnel by hiring two part-time employees and two full-time employees.

    The rest of the grant money would pay the salaries of two part-timers who are already on staff.

    Aldermen said at Tuesday’s pre-agenda meeting they would like people who’ve called about addressing the board to have their say at next week’s regular board meeting. They delayed the vote until then.

  • Board discusses next steps toward vision plan

    SHALLOTTE—The board of aldermen talked about the next steps toward achieving the goals of the town’s vision plan during its pre-agenda meeting Tuesday night.

    Town planner Chris Rogers informed the town board the planning board has recommended extending the plan’s boundaries to include Mulberry Creek and adding the area to the Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) land use plan.

  • Bridge construction on schedule in Sunset Beach

    SUNSET BEACH—With a peak-hours, tourist-season construction moratorium lifted since Labor Day, new bridgework is progressing on time, a construction official said this week.

    Project superintendent Mark Hackney, on duty at the mainland construction site of the future $31 million, 65-foot-tall Intracoastal Waterway high-rise bridge, said Tuesday work is on schedule.

    Construction of a concrete-and-steel detour bridge on the island is also nearing completion. Hackney said the structure should be ready for public use in about three more weeks.

  • Second teen arrested, more charges in Sunset Beach thefts

    SUNSET BEACH—A second teenager has been arrested and more charges have been placed against another 16-year-old charged last week with theft of a golf cart.

    Carlos Morales, 16, of 7219 Westbrook Ave., was arrested Sept. 24 in connection with the theft of a golf cart from Live Oak Drive reported Sept. 20.

    Additional charges against Morales and Shay Gales of 7267 Lula St., Ocean Isle Beach, include larceny of a firearm, first-degree burglary, and two counts of larceny after breaking and entering. Gales was initially charged with the golf cart theft Sept. 22.

  • South Brunswick tennis team goes 13-0

    The South Brunswick girls tennis team continued its unbeaten season by beating East Columbus 8-1 Sept. 22 at home, Pender 9-0 Sept. 23 and South Columbus 5-3 Sept. 24.

    South is 7-0 in the Waccamaw Conference, 11-0 overall.

    Against East Columbus, Kelley Presson, Katie Soden, Lauren Scheetz and Sarah Brock each won two matches.

    At Pender, South lost seven games in 12 sets of singles matches.

  • Soccer team in transition midway through conference

    Halfway through the conference season, the West Brunswick High School soccer team is in a transition that will affect this season and next.

    The Trojans lost two conference games last week, 9-0 to Jacksonville (ranked No. 13 in Class 3-A) and 2-1 to Ashley.

    The losses dropped West’s conference record to 0-5, 7-5 overall.

  • Cougars stomp Warriors 55-14 in Fayetteville; hope to make 5-0 Friday

    FAYETTEVILLE—Call them the Cougar 48, because they play hard for the full 48 minutes.

    The South Brunswick High School football team will try to improve to 5-0 when it plays a homecoming game 7:30 p.m. Friday against Heide Trask. The Cougars remained unbeaten after routing the Fayetteville Christian Warriors 55-14 Friday in a nonconference game.

  • Board's attorney moves to dismiss federal lawsuit

    An attorney for the Brunswick County Board of Education has filed a motion in U.S. District Court to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a Brunswick County schools employee in August.

    Kathleen Tanner, the board of education’s attorney, filed the motion to dismiss the lawsuit Sept. 25.

    “We have asked the court to dismiss the entire lawsuit, because Ms. Williams has failed to state a claim of discrimination or retaliation,” Tanner wrote in an e-mail to the Beacon. “We will look for a ruling from the court in the next six months or so.”

  • Break-in suspect sought

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s deputies are searching for a suspect they believe broke into several Hickman’s Crossroads area homes last week.

    Lt. Sam Davis said the suspect is a tall, slender-to-medium build, white male. He is described as being in his late-20s or early-30s.

    The suspect has a tattoo of a sword or dagger on his inner left arm. He is driving a burgundy Mazda.

    Davis reminds residents to lock their doors, activate alarm systems and be aware of their property and their neighbors’ property.