.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Sunset Beach throws shade on 'cabana confusion'

    SUNSET BEACH — Town council has delayed until January review of its recent reversal and decision to continue to allow cabanas on the beach.

    At a special meeting called Monday by councilmen Richard Cerrato and Mark Benton “to address the procedural and process confusion regarding the town’s reversal to allow cabanas,” board members took issue with a thick multi-page report distributed by the two at the start of the session.

    Councilwoman Carol Scott said there had been no time to review it.

  • Calabash OKs plat for Kingfish Bay phase

    CALABASH — Town commissioners have approved a preliminary/final subdivision plat for revived phase work in Kingfish Bay.

    Approval of the “Kingfish Village” phase came at the board’s last meeting of the year Dec. 13.

    The phase consists of two existing townhouse units and plats 14 more single-family lots along Kingfish Boulevard and Tilapia Way off N.C. 179 (Beach Drive).

  • Holden Beach Central Reach Project delayed a week

    Holden Beach’s Central Reach Project was delayed one week because of rough seas the weekend of Dec. 10-11.

    The project will place up to 1.31 million cubic yards of sand along 4.1 miles of Holden Beach shoreline, from 240 Ocean Blvd. E. to 781 Ocean Blvd. W.

  • Man escapes Bolivia house fire that killed pet

    A man escaped a Bolivia house fire that killed one of his pets Thursday, Dec. 15.

    Bolivia Fire Chief Marcus Crisco said his department received an alarm about the fire on Shady Loop Lane at 10:35 p.m.

    He and 11 other members of the Bolivia Volunteer Fire Department arrived at 10:41 p.m. and left at 1:35 a.m. Friday, Dec. 16.

    The man who was home when the fire started escaped safely with all but one of his pets, Crisco said. The chief couldn’t say what kind of animals any of the pets were.

  • Brunswick County reports untreated wastewater spill

    Brunswick County Public Utilities had a discharge of about 10,000 gallons of untreated wastewater from a 12-inch force main sewer at 301 Forest St. Ext. NW in Shallotte on Wednesday, Dec. 14, according to a county news release.

    The discharge was caused by a joint gasket failure. County personnel isolated the sewer spill and removed the wastewater from the surface area and applied lime to stabilize the area.

    An unknown amount reached the waters of Mulberry Branch and testing will be done to determine the impact.

  • Southport-Fort Fisher ferry Christmas schedule announced

    The North Carolina Department of Transportation’s Ferry Division will be running on amended schedules Saturday, Dec. 24, and Sunday, Dec. 25. All North Carolina ferry routes will resume their regular schedules Monday, Dec. 26.

    The schedule for the Southport-Fort Fisher route is:

    Saturday, Dec. 24

    From Southport: 7 a.m., 8:30, 9:15, 10, 10:45, 11:30, 12:15 p.m., 1, 1:45, 2:30, 3:15, 4, 4:45 and 6:15.

    From Fort Fisher: 7:45 a.m., 9:15, 10, 10:45, 11:30, 12:15 p.m., 1, 1:45, 2:30, 3:15, 4, 4:45, 5:30 and 7.

    Sunday, Dec. 25

  • Extra fees on horizon for recyclables in Carolina Shores

    CAROLINA SHORES — In another two years, Waste Industries can start charging extra fees for processing recyclables.

    The stipulation is included in the town of Carolina Shores’ renewal of a solid waste collection and disposal contract with Waste Industries approved last week by town commissioners.

    The three-and-a-half-year contract, effective Jan. 1, 2017, through June 30, 2020, states no processing fees for recyclables will be charged through Dec. 31, 2018.

  • Man reported missing arrested on kidnapping charge

    A Shallotte man who was reported missing Nov. 30 to the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office is accused of kidnapping someone Dec. 1, the day he was reported safe.

    Deputies arrested 18-year-old Jordan Saunders, of Sasspan Drive on Dec. 7 and charged him with felony second-degree kidnapping.

    Warrants show Saunders held a person against their will Nov. 30. The victim was not injured, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Emily Flax said.

  • Wilmington man sentenced in high-speed motorcycle chase

    A judge sentenced a Wilmington man to between 10 months and 21 months in state prison for leading officers on a high-speed motorcycle chase while impaired last winter, the District Attorney’s Office said.

    Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Ola M. Lewis sentenced 37-year-old Curtiss Franklin Nance Jr. of North Second Street after he pleaded guilty to fleeing to the elude arrest and DWI on Tuesday, Dec. 13. He received credit for time served.

  • Shallotte lotto winner gives back with toy giveaway

    SHALLOTTE — The parking lot of the Brunswick Senior Resources Inc.’s Shallotte Senior Center was filled with the sights and sounds of excited local children Saturday, Dec. 10, who waited for their turn to get a gift from Santa — or rather, from the Marie Holmes Foundation in conjunction with the Kids Connect Charitable Fund.