.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Sunset Beach rescinds ban on cabanas

    SUNSET BEACH — Following much discussion and debate, a majority of Sunset Beach Town Council on Monday night voted to rescind a prior action Nov. 15 to ban cabanas on the beach.

    Sunset Beach Mayor Robert Forrester opened discussion at the Dec. 5 meeting stating prior reports council had enacted a ban on the sun-shading devices wasn’t accurate because such an action would have required a ordinance amendment and four affirmative votes, which didn’t occur at the Nov. 15 meeting.

  • Elections board to have recount of auditor’s race results Wednesday

    The Brunswick County Board of Elections will conduct a recount of the state auditor’s contest Wednesday, Nov. 7, at 10:30 a.m.

    Republican Chuck Stuber received 40,213 votes, or 62.45 percent, to incumbent Democrat Beth Wood’s 24,176 votes, or 37.55 percent, in Brunswick County in the Nov. 8 general election. Statewide results show Wood received 2,259,383 votes, or 50.07 percent, to Stuber’s 2,018,947 votes, or 44.44 percent.

    The recount will take place at the board of elections office, 75 Stamp Act Drive NE, Building H, Bolivia.

  • Marie Holmes Foundation to host toy giveaway Dec. 10

    The Marie Holmes Foundation will sponsor a toy giveaway and provide refreshments for children in the community at the Shallotte Senior Center on Saturday, Dec. 10, from noon to 3 p.m.

    This event, held in conjunction with the Kids Connect Charitable Fund, is intended to spread the spirit of the holidays in the Shallotte community and to provide gifts to children in the area who might not otherwise get a toy. Pizza and other refreshments will also be provided.

  • Volunteer team brings new life to old home in Southport

    SOUTHPORT — Lela Tobler was ready when a team of Duke Energy volunteers showed up at her house last week to do much-needed repairs on her home.

    The team from across the Cape Fear region had partnered with Brunswick Housing Opportunities’ Home SAFE program, a comprehensive home assessment and modification program for seniors, veterans and disabled homeowners.

  • Carolina Shores finishes post-hurricane debris work

    CAROLINA SHORES — The town has finished picking up after Hurricane Matthew, amassing 13,042 cubic yards of debris.

    Town Administrator Jon Mendenhall, speaking at the Dec. 5 town workshop, said that amounts to about 800 truckloads that were carefully counted and tabulated by debris monitors during cleanup following the Oct. 8 storm.

    Economic outlook

    Auditor Isaac Norris said during his annual assessment of the town budget construction activity in the town is a good indicator the local economy is finally picking up and getting better.

  • One sought, four in custody in August OIB armed robbery

    Four people are in custody and one is sought in an Ocean Isle Beach armed robbery that happened in early August.

    Stephanie Nichole Collins and Rostin Royce Bromell turned themselves in Monday, Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Emily Flax said.

    They, along with a Shallotte couple arrested Nov. 30 in Lenoir County and Jeffery Leon Collins face charges in the case. Jeffery Collins, 38, remains at large.

  • Corrected: Bolivia man accused of stealing from workplace

    A Bolivia man accused of stealing nearly $6,000 in items from the Dollar General where he worked.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 18-year-old Clifton Matthew Warner of Mosquito Branch Road on Friday, Nov. 25, and charged him with felony larceny by employee.

  • Man hospitalized after submerging car in water

    A Southport man was hospitalized Nov. 30 after a medical condition caused him to drive his car into water at Waterfront Park in Southport.

    Southport police patrol officer Jason Freeman said the man, whose name won’t be released for medical reasons, was on his way to work at 6 a.m. on Southport-Supply Road when a medical condition set in.

    Freeman said the man told police the last thing he remembered was being at Long Beach and Southport-Supply roads.

  • Holden Beach Central Reach Project dredging scheduled to begin Dec. 15

    Holden Beach’s Central Reach Project is scheduled to begin dredging operations on Thursday, Dec. 15.

    The project will place up to 1.31 million cubic yards of sand along 4.1 miles of Holden Beach shoreline, from 240 Ocean Blvd. E. to 781 Ocean Blvd. W.

  • Shallotte man, son accused of using brass knuckles in attack

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a man and his son who are accused of using brass knuckles to attack a man Nov. 30.

    Thomas Edgar Martinez, Jr., 56, of Copas Road in Shallotte and Brandon Amos Martinez, 21 of Robinson Street in Ocean Isle Beach were arrested Thursday, Dec. 1, and each charged with assault with a deadly weapon and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, both misdemeanors.