.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Belville budget talks set sights on tax rate

    BELVILLE — Belville commissioners increased the town tax rate to 9 cents last year. At a budget retreat Saturday, March 18, they called for cuts in expenses to avoid touching the tax rate again.

    The early estimate of the budget is $947,000. Town Administrator Athina Williams said staying at 9 cents per $100 of valuation would maintain ad valorem revenues at $156,600.

    Sales and use taxes are anticipated about $440,000.

    And the town anticipates receiving $145,000 in revenues from the ABC board.

  • Fire damages Oak Island home

    An Oak Island home sustained severe damage after a fire of undetermined origin broke out Friday night, March 17.

    Three people safely evacuated the burning three-story house at 5101 E. Yacht Drive, Oak Island Fire Capt. Chris Sillings said.

    Upon fire crews’ arrival at the fire reported at 11:33 p.m., the structure was heavily involved in flames, including fire through the second story and roof, Sillings said.

    Exterior siding on an adjacent house was melted by the heat, but fire crews were able to stop the fire from spreading to it.

  • BCAR: Brunswick County’s residential real estate market shows strength

    Brunswick County’s residential real estate market continues to demonstrate strength, according to the most recent statistics released by the Brunswick County Association of Realtors (BCAR).

  • Reported flu deaths climb to 110 statewide

    Twenty flu deaths were reported in North Carolina for the week ending March 11, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.

    While flu activity has started to decrease in the state, the virus continues to be widespread.

    The number of influenza-associated deaths reported this season, which started Oct. 2, is 110.

    “North Carolinians should continue to take precautions and not let down their guard,” state epidemiologist Dr. Zack Moore said in a news release.

  • Bolivia man charged in March 6 shooting

    A Bolivia man is accused of shooting another man earlier this month.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 25-year-old Rashen Georgell Bellamy, of Old Ocean Highway on Thursday, March 16, and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

    Warrants show Bellamy shot 39-year-old Reginald Bernard Davis on March 6. Davis survived, but details about his injuries were not available.

  • Brunswick County to re-open Section 8 waiting list

    By approval of the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners, the Brunswick County Public Housing Agency will re-open the Section 8 waiting list effective March 23 to the first 250 applicants.

    Families who apply must meet income eligibility requirements.

    A preliminary application can be completed at the Brunswick County Public Housing office in Building B of the Brunswick County Government Complex in Bolivia, or request an application by mail by calling 253-2222. Applications will be accepted Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

  • Drug investigations net 17 arrests in two weeks

    The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Drug Enforcement Unit arrested 17 people in the past two weeks after a series of drug investigations prompted by community complaints.

    Those arrested and charged Feb. 27 were:

    ·      Christopher Austin Sheeron, 38, of Twin Bay Court NW, Calabash, heroin possession and misdemeanor drug paraphernalia possession. He was released March 7 from the Brunswick County Detention Facility on $5,000 bail.

  • Cape Fear Social Issues Forum set for March 24

    The Cape Fear Social Issues Forum, p​resented by Stand Against Trafficking USA, will be from 1 to 5 p.m. Friday, March 24, at Brunswick Community College’s Odell Williamson Auditorium.

  • Supply man pleads guilty to assault charge

    A Supply man pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman last September.

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested 30-year-old Rick Cody Russell, of Oyster Lane, on Sept. 7 and charged him with misdemeanor assault on a female and misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury. Warrants show Russell grabbed the woman and pushed her to the floor, causing her head to strike a bed frame Sept. 7. The injury left a large cut on the victim’s head, resulting in five stitches and 11 staples.

  • Prom Closet to open Saturday, March 25

    Going to the prom does not have to break the bank thanks to the Prom Closet. Celebrating its third year, South Brunswick High School math teacher Cathy Johnson coordinates the special daylong, pop-up-style boutique that pairs any Brunswick County middle and high school student with free gently used prom dresses, shoes and accessories.

    The Prom Closet will be open to students from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 25, in the South Brunswick High cafeteria.