.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Ocean Isle Beach kidnapping, rape case under way

    BOLIVIA—Jury selection is complete for the trial of a Supply man accused of kidnapping and raping two teenage girls in 2001.

    Opening arguments are expected to begin at 2:15 today.

    Forty-nine-year-old Larry Raynor is accused of kidnapping two girls, then 15-and-16-years-old, from the east end of Ocean Isle Beach, where they were vacationing in June 2001.

    The Brunswick Beacon does not identify victims of sexual assault.

  • Raking a Difference

    On a hot mid-June morning, 73-year-old William Gause relaxes on a picnic table in the shade of an old oak tree while nine middle-school-aged girls tear up his front lawn with garden trowels and cultivators.

    A green cap casts a shadow over Gause’s face as he watches the girls at work. He spends most of his days like this, sitting under the oak tree and listening to church music. Gobs of Spanish moss hang from the tree’s limbs, giving it a weeping quality.

    “I hung that moss,” he says, his voice soft and proud.

  • Superstreet intersection at U.S. 17 and Mount Pisgah, Ocean Isle Beach roads

    Drivers turning left onto U.S. 17 from Mount Pisgah and Ocean Isle Beach roads will have to travel a little farther to do so.

    The N.C. Department of Transportation recently completed a superstreet intersection at U.S. 17 and Mount Pisgah Road, and construction is ready to begin on a similar intersection at U.S. 17 and Ocean Isle Beach Road.

    For drivers wishing to turn left or go straight through these intersections, they must first turn right, and then make a U-turn.

    Allen Pope, NCDOT Div. 3 engineer, said the two intersections qualified for spot safety funding.

  • Fisherman dies in storm

    Scattered thunderstorms and rough seas didn’t keep many boats ashore during Saturday’s Jolly Mon Fishing Tournament, with more than 250 boats taking to the open sea, hoping to reel in a prize-worthy catch.

    But the thunderstorms and rough seas may have been the cause of at least one capsized boat, and contributed to the death of Supply fisherman Scott Hewett.

  • State port project moves forward

    The North Carolina State Ports Authority and CenterPoint Properties of Oak Brook, Ill., have made a key step toward the eventual development of the proposed North Carolina International Terminal in Brunswick County.

    The two organizations have come to terms on a predevelopment agreement for the project.

    The agreement indicates CenterPoint is the leading candidate to become the private development partner for the container terminal.

  • Existing home sales up again in Brunswick

    The number of homes sold in Brunswick County has again increased over last year.

    According to the most recent numbers from the N.C. Association of Realtors, Brunswick County Realtors sold 128 units in May 2007, compared to 172 units in May 2008, a 34 percent increase.

    The average price dropped from $383,304 to $282,725, according to the report.

    Grady Watkins, president of the Brunswick County Association of Realtors, said this week he attributes the increase in sales to good prices and inventory.

  • Ingram 'streamlines' positions at sheriff's office

    BOLIVIA—Even before being appointed sheriff in May, John Ingram had plans to streamline the sheriff’s office and its staff.

    Last week, Ingram and chief deputy Charlie Miller put their plan into action, restructuring the sheriff’s office through promotions and transfers.

    “The one thing we wanted to accomplish was to have a defined chain of command,” Ingram said.

    Miller added the restructuring of staff “clearly defined” that chain of command.

  • Affordable housing a multi-pronged issue in Brunswick County

    SUPPLY—Affordable housing is a multi-faceted issue that brought out various speakers at last week’s third annual Brunswick Workforce Housing Summit.

    It’s an issue that affects the county’s workforce and its senior population as well, four agency speakers noted at the morning meeting.

    “We have affordable housing—people just can’t afford the upkeep,” said Kathy Doyle of St. Brendan Social Ministries at the June 20 summit at Brunswick Community College.

    Jim Russell, director of Brunswick Senior Resources Inc., agreed.

  • Calabash commissioner suggests combining EMS, fire as budgetary line item

    CALABASH—Commissioner Forrest King has suggested deleting the Calabash EMS and the Calabash Fire Department as separate budgetary line items.

    Instead, he said the two could be combined as a general “donations” item under the public safety section of expenditures in the town’s 2008-2009 fiscal budget.

    King’s suggestion came at a workshop Tuesday as commissioners discussed a draft of the proposed $1,022,950 budget. Commissioners are expected to vote on adopting the budget at 4 p.m. Thursday (June 26) at town hall.

  • Calabash names new administrator; terminates part-time employee

    CALABASH—Town commissioners have hired a new town administrator.

    Vincent Long III of Pinehurst accepted the commissioners’ offer and signed a contract Monday afternoon.

    His first day as town administrator will be next Tuesday, July 1, interim town clerk Kelley Southward said.

    Long previously has worked as an administrator at several “fairly large” towns and small cities out-of-state, including California, Mayor Pro Tem Forrest King said Tuesday.