.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Police: Man found on the beach died of self-inflicted gunshot wound

    HOLDEN BEACH—A single gunshot wound took the life of 43-year-old Daniel Anderson, of Hilliard, Ohio, police say.

    Anderson, whose body was found on the beach around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 12, by a member of the Holden Beach Turtle Patrol, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the mouth, Holden Beach Police Detective Justin Hewett said.

  • Longwood man charged with assault after weekend shooting

    LONGWOOD—A Longwood man was charged with assault with a deadly weapon after he told police he shot a man for continually coming onto his property.

    Wendell Daniels, 55, of 7299 Carlon Road, told police he repeatedly told Hester Griffin to stop coming to his Longwood home.

    When Griffin came to Daniels’ home around 5 a.m. Saturday, May 16, a confrontation ensued, and Daniels allegedly shot Griffin in the stomach with an assault-style rifle, Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Sam Davis said.

  • Bike Rodeo at Seaside

    Seaside United Methodist Church Preschool students participated in a Bike Rodeo last Wednesday, during which the N.C. Highway Patrol instructed the youngsters on proper bicycle safety.

     

  • Walgreens in Holden Beach to open soon; Shallotte store opening slated for July

    A number of new businesses and expanded services have started cropping up in Shallotte and surrounding areas just in time for the tourist season.

    The Walgreens store in Holden Beach is set to open at the end of the month, while the Shallotte location won’t open until July 31, the Holden Beach manager has announced.

    According to manager Kenny Emmanuel, the 15,000-square-foot store near Food Lion on Sabbath Home Road is set to open May 28.

    Emmanuel, a Brunswick County native and graduate of West Brunswick High School, will be the store’s manager.

  • Publishers Clearing House might be looking for me

    The new Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office South Substation hadn’t even opened yet when Publishers Clearing House showed up at its door.

    It’s proof that pigs fly and something had frozen over in mid May (consider this week’s unusually low temperatures).

    But what it really demonstrates is the Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol Elite Team actually does exist.

    Oh, sure, I and 200 million other Americans had been skeptical for the past 42 years, ever since the first Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes launched in 1967.

  • Harley-Davidson grand opening exceeds expectations

    The first-ever Bike Week-related event in Shallotte exceeded organizers’ expectations, and the owner of Beach House Harley-Davidson on U.S. 17 says he hopes to have another one next year.

    “We had a great time,” owner Rick Noyes said this week. “A lot of people came and went. The vendors said they’d like to come back they did so well…When we cleaned up, there was not a cigarette butt on the ground.

    “It exceeded our expectations.”

  • Seat belt safety important to remember in light of recent fatalities

    Saferoads.org, an advocate for highway and auto safety Web site, reports 55 percent of those killed in traffic crashes in 2006 were not wearing seat belts.

    As we know, the two West Brunswick students who died after a fatal car wreck earlier this month were not wearing seat belts. Two of the three passengers that survived were wearing seat belts at the time of impact.

    At times like these, it’s always a question of, “What if?”

  • Governor signs bill banning smoking in restaurants/bars

    Beginning next year, smokers will have to go outside to smoke when dining out or going out for a drink.

    Gov. Bev Perdue on Tuesday signed a bill that would eliminate smoking in all restaurants and bars in the state as well as state government buildings.

    Last week, the N.C. House voted to concur with the Senate version of the original House bill, “Prohibit Smoking in Certain Public Places,” banning smoking in restaurants and bars but stopped short of prohibiting it in all workplaces, as was originally proposed.

  • Investigation into wreck continues

    No charges have been filed in the May 7 wreck that killed two West Brunswick High School students and injured three others.

    According to Sgt. T.T. Daniels of the N.C. Highway Patrol, Joseph Moreno, 17, was driving east on Royal Oak Road around 11:30 p.m. May 7, when he crossed the centerline, overcorrected and lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle then hit a ditch and overturned several times.

    Jacob Moseley died that night. Caleb Hawkins died Wednesday, May 13, after being listed in critical condition for nearly a week at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.

  • Family, friends remember WBHS students killed in wreck

    SHALLOTTE—Family and friends of Jake Moseley and Caleb Hawkins, two West Brunswick High School students who died as the result of a fatal car crash earlier this month, gathered last week for a night of remembrance at First Baptist Church in Shallotte.

    Siblings, classmates and friends all shared their favorite memories of the two boys, who were best remembered as fun-loving, kind-hearted people who left a lasting impression on everyone who knew them.