.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Shallotte man arrested in S.C. shooting

    U.S. Marshals arrested a Shallotte man wanted in an October shooting in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

    A spokesman for the Marshals Service said Alexander Lamont Grissett, 19, was taken into custody without incident a home on Cotton Patch Road in Shallotte on Jan. 31 around 11 a.m. The spokesman said Grissett previously lived in Supply.

  • Two men arrested, third sought in Supply home invasion

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested two men and are looking for a third in a Supply home invasion last month.

    Joshua Gomez Albarran, 22, of Mackerel Street in Supply and Jonathan Joel Velez, 22, of Chadwick Landing in Shallotte were arrested Friday, Feb. 3, and each charged with first-degree burglary, robbery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of second-degree kidnapping and misdemeanor injury to real property.

  • Man wanted in Calabash break-in identified

    Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office deputies have identified a man they say tried to break into a Calabash home last month.

    According to a sheriff’s office Facebook post, the man who attempted to break into a home in the 100 block of Beach Drive on Jan. 24 is 48-year-old Jamie Landis High of Riverview Drive in Calabash.

    High is being held on $5,000 bail at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center in Conway, S.C., on an unrelated shoplifting charge. Records show North Myrtle Beach (S.C.) Police arrested him Jan. 27.

  • Holden Beach home to be featured on HGTV show

    HOLDEN BEACH — If you find yourself driving along the coastal route of Ocean Boulevard East, eventually you’ll come to 315 Ocean Blvd. E.— a small and cozy A-frame home named Anchor’s Holding that is available throughout the year for visitors and locals alike to rent. 

    But in a few months, you won’t have to leave your couch to see Anchor’s Holding thanks to HGTV’s new show “Beach Hunters,” which will air an episode featuring the home.

  • Numbers show demand for local charter schools

    LELAND — Data show charter schools are gaining popularity in North Carolina, including popularity in Brunswick and New Hanover counties.

    State records for January 2017 show the state had 168 charter schools with 91,815 students, compared with 45,215 in 100 schools in 2011, after the state lifted the 100-school cap for charter schools.

    Records also show charter schools gained 9,360 students in the past year with district schools losing 3,400 students across the state.

  • NCDOT works to integrate drones into emergency response efforts

    The North Carolina Department of Transportation is exploring how to best implement unmanned aircraft systems, or drones, into future disaster relief efforts. The department’s Division of Aviation recently collaborated with nearly 50 state and local government agencies and industry researchers for a three-day workshop, which included interactive demonstrations of drone operations in simulated scenarios.

  • Winnabow woman sentenced for promoting prostitution of minor

    A Winnabow woman will spend at least three years in prison after pleading guilty to promoting the prostitution of a minor in New Hanover County Court.

    New Hanover County District 5 Second Division Resident Superior Court Judge Phyllis M. Gorham ordered 26-year-old Kasi Lynn Smith of Academy Drive NE to serve between 44 and 65 months in the Division of Adult Correction after Smith pleaded guilty Monday, Feb. 6, to felony promoting prostitution of a minor.

  • Leland man gets 30 years on heroin and money laundering charges

    A federal judge sentenced a Leland man Feb. 1 to 30 years in prison on heroin and money laundering charges.

    Chief United States District Judge James C. Dever III handed the 360-month sentence down to 43-year-old Robert Boone, who was previously convicted of felony conspiracy to distribute a kilogram or more of heroin and felony conspiracy to launder monetary instruments, according to a U.S. Department of Justice news release.

  • Auto insurance companies seek 13.8-percent rate hike for state

    The North Carolina Department of Insurance has received a request for a 13.8-percent overall statewide auto insurance rate increase for 2017 from the North Carolina Rate Bureau, which represents the auto insurance companies in the state.

    This rate filing is the first auto rate filing the Department of Insurance has received from the Rate Bureau since 2009, North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey said in a news release. The last auto rate increases occurred in 2001 and 2002 but were wiped out by the rate decrease that occurred in 2003.

  • District court docket for Jan. 20, 23, 24, 26 and 27

     The following cases were adjudicated over five days of District Criminal Court on Jan. 20, 23, 24, 26 and 27 in Bolivia.

    Codes: PG, pleaded guilty; PNG/NG, pleaded not guilty, found not guilty; PNG/G, pleaded not guilty, found guilty; BCDF, Brunswick County Detention Facility; NCDOC, North Carolina Department of Correction.

     

    Friday, Jan. 20

    Judge Jerry A. Jolly presided over the following cases with prosecutor Quintin McGee and courtroom clerk Jennifer Hearn:

    Mark Francis Adams, PG unsafe movement.