.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire at Calabash restaurant accidental

-A A +A

Fire broke out and damaged George’s Pancake House at 9941 Beach Drive in Calabash shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday, June 26.

Zhana Stathos, wife of restaurant owner George Stathos, said the restaurant was closed for the day and no one was inside when the fire apparently started in the kitchen or central portion of the restaurant.

The restaurant sustained extensive smoke and water damage, but limited fire damage, according to Honey Chiocco with the Calabash Fire Department.

A Brunswick County Code Administration news release said preliminary findings by multiple agencies show the fire appears to be accidental and appears to be a result of an accidental electrical malfunction in an office area.

The Calabash Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Sunset Beach, Grissettown/Longwood, Shallotte Point and Civietown as well as Horry County, S.C. Ocean Isle Beach firefighters stood by and covered the fire district for the units tied up at the fire. Brunswick County EMS personnel and Coastline Rescue Squad also responded to the scene. No injuries were reported.

Brunswick County sheriff’s deputies rerouted traffic onto Thomasboro Road.